LNH: Looniverse Chronicles #8: "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?" (Tales of the Deep Omnilooniverse)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Nov 1 19:24:46 PST 2020

On 2020-10-30 23:00, Drew Nilium wrote:

> Face wet, eyes red, Cheesecake-Eater Lad stands, and gives us a nod.
> "All right. Thank you. I don't know if I believe you, but... if you
> want to do something foolish and brave, we won't stop you." He turns
> to the crowd. "No matter what happens tomorrow - tonight, we
> celebrate!"
>
> They let out a cry, as one, ragged and hoarse but jubilant. They
> throw down their signs and head back to their homes, to eat and make
> as merry as they can.
>
> And we walk to that final battle, that tiny spark of hope burning in
> our breasts, that bit of unstoppable faith that a better world might
> be possible.
Without going into details, that was an awesome (and topical) tale.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler, who's done all he can for the moment.
--  8{O> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org