SW10: Psychovant Teaches American History #14: "Human Resources"

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Jan 21 14:46:53 PST 2020

Psychovant the Duck here, with another lesson.  Last week, we talked
about stuff the New World produced.  This week, we talk about how they
found their workers back then...

So did we all come here to abuse the natives?  A bunch of you humans
did.  Not that you meant to; it was just convenient.  Slavery was in
fashion back then, and it was cheaper to try to use local slaves than
imported ones.  Spain did it first, in the 1500s before the other
factions even had settlers.  But it got so bad, their monarchs back home
would put out proclamations saying "Cut it out".  The migrants would
promptly ignore those.  Then the monarchs would send out royal
commissioners to set rules and draw boundaries and *make* the abuse
stop.  As soon as they did, the Spanish people who conquered Peru rose
up in rebellion!  Yeah, I know that's *South* America, but it's still
American history...  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzalo_Pizarro) And
the rebellion didn't work.  England took notes, and started *importing*
their slaves - and not messing with the rules for slaveholding.

--
---- Psychovant the Duck, hacking http://www.eilertech.com/ ----