MISC: Eclipse The Girl Who Saved The World (Drew Perron)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat May 18 17:44:07 PDT 2019

On 2019-05-18 16:21, George Phillies wrote:
> For those of you puzzled by the Heinlein references in the bit:
>
> "Oh, yes, thank you, Daddy," Trisha gushed. "that makes complete sense
> in the Regency novel, except my teacher said my novel had to do with the
> Heinlein Act, which made no sense, not that I’m sure what the Heinlein
> Act is."
>
> Abigail rolled her eyes. "The Heinlein Act is that Navy monstrosity.But
> you knew Heinlein, didn’t you, dear?" she asked Patrick.
>
> "Indeed I did," Patrick answered. "He was a fine Navy Admiral who’d won
> three skirmishes, officially with pirates, and retired with combat
> injuries.He wanted to become a writer, but needed to support his family,
> so he’d read law. A few years later, along came this young lady, about
> the age of you three, and about as bright, who wanted Heinlein to use
> bad wording in a California state law to divorce her parents.  Her name is
> under seal; her initials were P.W. Her parents, it later turned out,
> were truly terrible people. Her case reached the Supreme Court.  Heinlein
> won his case.  Congress codified, the Heinlein Act, rules letting
> adult-competent children divorce truly bad parents.  Heinlein then took up
> writing, full-time, made a fortune, and won the Nobel Prize for
> Literature."

"Admiral Heinlein" probably counts as a trope by now.  And parent /
child divorce sounds like something he might have suggested.  For all I
know, he did.  So I got it.

> But how does an Admiral get wounded in a skirmish?  At the start, we had
> two Carrier Groups, and the officially-not-Manjukuoans had six.  At the
> end, we had two in very serious need of yard time, and they had two, one
> of which apparently went down in a north Pacific storm with all hands on
> the way home.

This is the kind of offbeat detail I love about your universe.  So
America fought Manchuria in a major war - and America was colonized from
the west?

--
------ Scott Eiler  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/  ------