DIVA: A Fateful Discovery #3

deucexm deucexm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 08:35:29 PDT 2018

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 5:46:37 PM UTC-5, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 2018-09-13 07:05, deucexm wrote:
>
> > "Rosewood? Are you in there?" came a vaguely worried voice from the other side -
> > a voice she knew well. A gesture from her and the door snap-hissed open in the
> > coolest science-fiction way (it was her Aesthetic), and Eris's head peeked
> > around the corner.
> > Smiling a little less broadly as bittersweet memories came trickling back, the
> > Goddess of Design pulled Eris onto her chest, wrapping her arms across the
> > darker lady's back and leaning back as she moved the chair into full-recline
> > mode. Her partner was all warmth and softness in her embrace; it was something
> > of a reversal to be the one holding her, but not unpleasantly so. Her gaze
> > lifted to the shifting rainbow of hair that graced the other Deity's head, and
> > she moved one hand to softly rest atop it.
>
> For some reason, I think of Eris as being a black cat now.

Eris is also interesting to write.  Given that a lot of my names are sourced from existing
mythological or other sources, I do my best to give them personalities distinct from the
source material (OurGodsAreDifferent I suppose); in Eris's case the way the Pantheon
operates is made more explicit - a Deity is not defined or limited by their domain, so Eris
isn't forced to be a chaotic jerk who makes things full of strife and, uh, discord wherever
she goes.  I don't like 2D characters any more than I suspect the rest of you do.

In this case she's worried because of what went down in #1 and she doesn't know how
deep of a mess her consort has gotten herself into.  And worried Eris tends to be a bit
clingy, which is - as RW notes - rare for her (but not unheard of).

The cat comparison isn't too far off the mark, in any case.  :)

> But this is an awfully sweet episode.  And it's a good way to establish
> where Rosewood stands among the gods.

Thank you on both counts!  One of these days I will get around to writing the Ascension
scene itself where RW formally joins the Pantheon, but all things in time.

- Felix