MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 71

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:50:31 PDT 2018

So, I am one million years behind on Girl Who Saved The World. I intend to catch
up, but you know what? I need to stop putting it off because I haven't caught up
yet. I should be more active in the *present* of this group, not just the past.
So let's jump into the latest Bit and see how things are going from someone
who's been out for... um... A While.

On 5/18/2018 9:18 PM, George Phillies wrote:
<snip>
> You are a persona, Dorothy told herself.You beat the giant lizard, even if you
> can’t remember your boyfriend who helped.You did stop the League terrorist by
> yourself, when you were not at all sure your force field was bulletproof. You
> are not afraid because you are listening to a girl barely two-thirds your age,
> even if she does speak an extinct language, so far as you can tell flawlessly,
> telling you that she is about to die.

Well! This is nice and evocative, and sets the mood well, even not knowing the
context up to this point. :>

> “So when is Joe showing up?” Dorothy
> asked. “Have you ever dated him before?” And how will you two each get to
> school? she wondered, though it was really clear that Joe could teleport.
>
> “No,” Spindrift answered. “The first time together is yet to come.”

Interesting way of phrasing it.

D'awwwww.

> Formal written Atlanticeanwas based in infolding puns, so that
> wheatfield started as waves of gold, except waves were shore’s call and gold was
> banker’s blood, so wheatfield became shores calling for banker’s blood, and
> matters became more complicated from there, even before references to
> Atlanticean mythology were inserted.

Oh, I love this idea. <3 <3 <3 That is excellent worldbuilding.

> But what is Time’s Dagger?”
>
> “I can’t tell you,” Spindrift said, rapidly finishing the last bit of her
> breakfast.“Not ‘may’, ‘can’t’ It’s like the Dark Lights of the Starry Void, the
> /Chelesh N’drageu /and the time before the infinite past. Can’t tell. And now I
> must go.”

ooooooooh. Damn, that's a lot of good, Star Wars-style "drop interesting
signifiers and let them ripple into the reader's conception of the world".

> “She slipped into my language./Chelesh N’drageu/is Polarian.With no accent,”
> Teranike said. “No accent at all. I have never met a foreigner, and I am a High
> Officer of the Lake of Silver Fire, who did not have an accent. The Dark Lights?
> In both our universes, though in ours the Northern Barbarians want it to be a
> military secret, there are cosmic dust clouds that have evolved intelligence. In
> your universe, they stay well away from Earth. In ours, one visited twice, once
> 60 years ago, almost causing an ice age by accident, and again recently, staying
> on the far side of the sun but neglecting to mention that it had sent androids
> to Earth, to speak with a few people still alive that it had met on its prior
> visit. They, the /Chelesh N’drageu,/ live in interstellar space, passing by
> stars to feed on the sunlight.They have questions --how the universe that has
> lasted forever came to be -- whose answers cannot be spoken, because the act of
> speaking the answers causes the universe to delete the speaker. And its answer.
> That was why I was here, to see if anything is known of the deletion.An effect
> that causes the mass of a large planet to vanish, in a single instant, with
> absolutely no trace left behind, might possibly have a few weapons applications.”

Yeah, it might o3o; Fascinating. Makes me wonder further on the structure of
this universe.

> “Boys and their toys,” Dorothy said.

Heeheehee.

Drew "gotta keep moving forward" Perron