MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 71

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Fri May 18 18:18:48 PDT 2018

Spindrift smiled. “Thank you,” she choked. “I really didn’t expect it.”

You are a persona, Dorothy told herself.You beat the giant lizard, even
if you can’t remember your boyfriend who helped.You did stop the League
terrorist by yourself, when you were not at all sure your force field
was bulletproof. You are not afraid because you are listening to a girl
barely two-thirds your age, even if she does speak an extinct language,
so far as you can tell flawlessly, telling you that she is about to die.
“So when is Joe showing up?” Dorothy asked. “Have you ever dated him
before?” And how will you two each get to school? she wondered, though
it was really clear that Joe could teleport.

“No,” Spindrift answered. “The first time together is yet to come.”

“And he’s late?” Teranike said.“These things happen.Don’t be too mad at
him.”

“I knew he would not be here before I depart,” Spindrift answered, her
breakfast rapidly disappearing. “Do not blame him, either.He is a
wonderful person, kind and thoughtful and self-sacrificing and
absolutely gifttrue.And cute.”

“How did you meet?” Dorothy asked. “Do you go to the same school? Maybe
I should ask, since I am supposed to be studying Atlanticean, how to
dissect the kennings in your sigils.” Formal written Atlanticeanwas
based in infolding puns, so that wheatfield started as waves of gold,
except waves were shore’s call and gold was banker’s blood, so
wheatfield became shores calling for banker’s blood, and matters became
more complicated from there, even before references to Atlanticean
mythology were inserted.She passed Spindrift a notebook and pen, on
which Spindrift rapidly sketched symbols and translations, finally
infolding to The Dagger of Time.

“I’m sorry,” Dorothy said to Teranike, “we must be boring you to tears.”

“Not at all.It’s an interesting bit of your world’s history,” Teranike
answered“Besides, the Avatar’s Elder Tongue uses different symbols, but
the same general riddle and reduction schema. But what is Time’s Dagger?”

“I can’t tell you,” Spindrift said, rapidly finishing the last bit of
her breakfast.“Not ‘may’, ‘can’t’ It’s like the Dark Lights of the
Starry Void, the /Chelesh N’drageu /and the time before the infinite
past. Can’t tell. And now I must go.” She slipped coins under her plate
and dissolved into points of light that swiftly blinked out.

“Teleport,” Dorothy said. “But ‘Dark Lights of the Starry Void’? And
what was the last thing she said?”

“She slipped into my language./Chelesh N’drageu/is Polarian.With no
accent,” Teranike said. “No accent at all. I have never met a foreigner,
and I am a High Officer of the Lake of Silver Fire, who did not have an
accent. The Dark Lights? In both our universes, though in ours the
Northern Barbarians want it to be a military secret, there are cosmic
dust clouds that have evolved intelligence. In your universe, they stay
well away from Earth. In ours, one visited twice, once 60 years ago,
almost causing an ice age by accident, and again recently, staying on
the far side of the sun but neglecting to mention that it had sent
androids to Earth, to speak with a few people still alive that it had
met on its prior visit. They, the /Chelesh N’drageu,/ live in
interstellar space, passing by stars to feed on the sunlight.They have
questions --how the universe that has lasted forever came to be -- whose
answers cannot be spoken, because the act of speaking the answers causes
the universe to delete the speaker. And its answer. That was why I was
here, to see if anything is known of the deletion.An effect that causes
the mass of a large planet to vanish, in a single instant, with
absolutely no trace left behind, might possibly have a few weapons
applications.”

“Boys and their toys,” Dorothy said.

“Daughters and their spears,” Teranike said, “is our version. Mentioning
boys, here comes Joe, just too late.”