LNH20: Writer's Block Person #36: "Capture Card Device"

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Jan 23 18:56:29 PST 2018

On 2018-01-22 23:08, Drew Perron wrote:

> There was a rattle, and they turned around. A different card game -
> Slash - was rattling in its box.
>
> Writer's Block Person stepped forward, reached out a single finger, and
> poked it. The cards exploded out, forming into a vague humanoid shape
> that flexed and roared its defiance.
>
> Writer's Block Person took up a defensive stance. They stretched out
> their hand, and the staff flew into it. They peered at the floating
> card, surrounded in darkness... "...oop, this next anxiety's kinda, um,
> kinda sexual." They looked over their shoulder. "Could y'all, um, just
> kinda..."

But of course "Slash" is kinda sexual.  Is that a real card game?

> "Oh, sure!" Whisperion picked up her bag and her keys. "See you later!"
>
> "Bye, Drew!" called Chaos Theory, opening the door for her.

But of course Our Hero's name is Drew.

> The two of them stepped out and walked down to the bus stop on the
> corner. Whisperion sighed. "Y'know, you ever think, 'Wow, my life got
> weird?'"
>
> Chaos Theory looked off into the distance. "Sorry, what was that? I was
> just intercepting a gravitic wave from a pair of linked black holes a
> thousand lightyears away. They're trying to solve the problem of
> induction, and they wanted my opinion." They cocked their head. "Or a
> fourth for bridge. I'm not sure."
>
> "...never mind. Have a good game! Or philosophical debate!"
>
> Chaos Theory waved, and with a clap of reverse thunder, disappeared.
> Whisperion leaned against the fence. "What a bunch of adorable nerds."
>
> Drew "neeeeeeeerds" Perron

Yeah, I guess if Chaos Theory is an adorable nerd, he might get
distracted to the point of almost boarding a bus.

... I enjoyed Our Hero resurgent in this episode.  And it's a good slice
of life.

I've mostly given up Slice of Life fiction in my own life.  I know I
could always pick a viewpoint character for anything I need to write...
but all of my avatars have grown up and gotten their own lives.  So I
write other stories.  If I ever get to the point where I run out of
those other stories to write, it'll probably be the end of my
*fictional* world anyway.

I know. - Archie Andrews