SW10/WWW: Powernaut 2006 #36: You Don't Have to Live With It

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Aug 15 15:04:51 PDT 2018

But still, it's not a bad settlement...  The Trial of the Powernaut is
over, and so is Powernaut 2006!

http://eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2006d.htm#36

Thanks to design efficiencies suitable to comics full of talking heads,
this Epilogue came in at five issues instead of six.  Yay, Powernaut!

This story has a lot of the pressure taken off it, since I did my
research.  It seems Karl will be around until at least 2008, for
instance.  And the Powernaut will be up to some definite hijinks then.
So the ending of the 2006 series is a lot happier than I'd planned.
Yay, Powernaut!

I made some design decisions during this series...

- As usual, Powernaut Comics is filled with old white men with beards.
The defense attorney David Brizitski could have been black, only he's
not my character and I'm pretty sure he's white.

- The judge (Joella Witten, for what it's worth) is female, though.  But
I figured a *black* female judge was too much to ask of New Orleans in 2006.

- Skyhawk's facial structure has evolved since his debut in the 2009
comic.  Oh well.

Counting Powernaut 2005 combined with 2006, I just finished a comic
strip double series with a total of 77 strips.  That'll be more than a
quarter of the grand total of Powernaut Comics, even after I get to 300
strips later this year.  But I think I can take a rest first.

In other personal news, the Powernaut (2005 version) and I both have
exactly 400 Facebook friends now.  But I think the momentum in this
rivalry is on his side.

... This series ends with some more in-universe commentary.

Bonus Section: Commentary from Karl Scribner! The Moretti Connection

The Moretti family of Milwaukee-Wisconsin has a few links to superhuman
history.

- A young cameraman Louis Moretti met the Secret Commando in Rome 1944.
Louis would later move to Milwaukee, and establish businesses both legal
and extra-legal.  He may have encountered the golden-age Powernaut in 1953.

- Louis Moretti would have five sons, and one daughter who is youngest.
The daughter Giulia (Julie Wolcott) was abducted during the Hypergaard
Affair of 1969.  Louis was able to contact the Secret Commando to
arrange a rescue attempt.  However, the Power Patrol and the "hippie"
Powernaut of that era brought Giulia and the other abducted children
back first.

- The Moretti daughter was sent to school, out of state in Michigan.
There she met the mutant Ellipsis, and eventually married him. So her
whole family is in-laws with Ellipsis.  Nobody is really happy about that.

- Louis Moretti has retired from control of the clan.  By 2006, his
eldest son Carlo had assumed the leadership.

I know. - Archie Andrews