LNH: Liminals #3

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 01:12:40 PDT 2017

On 6/4/2017 10:37 PM, Adrian McClure wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Drew Perron <pwerdna at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yesss, drawing on a wider and wider range of Internet and fandom history <3
>
> That's a big part of the goal of this series! And my recent LNH work
> in general. I feel like after a certain point the LNH stopped engaging
> with the wider net culture as much, and that's been something I've
> been trying to rectify since LNH20. Of course LNH20 has been around
> for a while now so a lot of the references which are cutting edge at
> the time are very retro now.

Same, really, including the references thrown into that.

> (I still want to use Longcaticus someday,
> though.)

YES. :D And I mean, like... after a while, the old references from 2012 join the
layers of old references the LNH was built on. Even when I started reading in
'96/'97, the '92/'93-era memes were like reaching back into history.

> In this case I'm deliberately referencing a layer of fandom
> from the past that LNH hasn't engaged with--especially important since
> it's based in primarily-female fic-fandom. (That's also part of the
> inspiration for what we've done with Merissa.)

Same!

>> You know, I never imagined B-TB in the "cute but messy to be around" slot,
>> but it works?
>
> Hey, Fuzzy and Syncity seemed to like him! (His appearance here was
> kind of inspired by that Jaelle story.)

Oh man, good point. :3

>> I wonder what Ultimate Ninja thinks of our current focus on legacy
>> characters. I mean, the original MG who annoyed him so much went away
>> eventually, only for a new one to come around and, well...
>
> The original Manga Girl is still around as a ghost! Is she secretly
> haunting hte LNHQ? No one knows for sure.

When she gets a day off from her celestial police job, anyway

>> !!! YES Manga Girl II's backstory! :D
>
> I figured I'd throw that in rather than holding it out for JI because
> this series in general is supposed to be a jumping on point and all.

Works for me! Getting our cool ideas out there is most important.

>> This is SO COOL. :D Question - this is Manga Man Gold, right?
>
> Yep. JI is going to get into this in more detail.

Yes it is. :D

> (TBH thinking about
> it more I'm still not 100% sure where this fits on his timeline,
> though I know he does do some time-jumping at one point.)

Yeah, I was never entirely sure either.

>> awwwwwww. That's fascinating. :o Not what I'd have expected from someone as
>> expressive as Manga Girl.
>
> That's the thing--she's very emotionally expressive but also
> independent, which means she keeps some things to herself, even in the
> relationships which are important to her--with her family, the
> Liminals, the LNH as a whole. Could this cause trouble for her
> sometime in the future? Well maybe...

ohhhhhhh. Yeah. :D That's SO cool.

>> Oh, yeah, I have one of those across the street from me! :D
>
> Again, when I write Net.ropolis it's usually either Toronto or
> Pittsburgh since those are the cities I know best. (What I had in mind
> was Carnegie.)

!!! NICE. :D

>> X3 I love how cheerfully sexual MG is.
>
> Yeah, that was something I liked about the original Manga Girl series
> when I reread it just now--even though of course the handling could
> have been better. But there was all that straight guy horny in old LNH
> so it was nice letting a girl be horny for a change.

Exactly. :> I think that's something really valuable Young!Tom hit on - I think
there's a lot of stuff like that, really.

>> Ah! I knew you said this was gonna be furry. :>
>
> Haha yep. I've been developing more of an appreciation of that
> aesthetic, and getting into Goodbye to Halos by Valerie Halla was the
> turning point--a comic which was a huge inspiration for some of the
> worldbuilding introduced in this issue, and the tone and mood of the
> series as a whole.

Mmmmmm, lovely. :3 I've been getting increasingly furry myself. X3 And GtH is
just... astounding. Good art, good story, good characters.

>> I love how she just tangents into this. She has Such Art Feelings
>
> I put a lot of thought into this speech because I didn't want her to
> be dismissing conceptual art as a thing. So much of discussion of all
> forms of creative work is defined by bullshit dichotomies like SFF vs
> literary fiction, superheroes vs "art" comics etc, which have a lot of
> frustrating and arbitrary value judgments build in, and I wanted to
> avoid that even though fine art's not really my thing.

I was thinking about that while reading it, and I think you did an excellent job
avoiding that.

> I think she has
> an understanding of art on an instinctive level, since she's made of
> that.

Definitely.

>> AWWWWWWWW! Oh my god cat affection YES GOOD
>
> I love cats. That's all.

Drew "saaaaaame" Perron