MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World 41

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Tue May 10 14:19:26 PDT 2016

Morgana Lafayette would be available as a presenter.

The wind gusted, hard enough that the shutters rattled. “However, I am
keeping you up late,” Morgana continued, “I still have a paper to write,
and I’ve given your children their grades.  They are all Excellent. Your
meal was wonderful, and most appreciated. So far as I can tell, you five
are not in any particular danger. I should be on my way.” Morgana stood,
hugged Abigail, and took Patrick’s hand. “Next time, I should bring some
of my cooking.  I have, after all, had some thousands of years to figure
out how to recognize boiling water.”

“Thank you for everything, Morgana” Abigail said. “You’re sure you don’t
want to borrow a coat for the flight back? And you do get a box of my
cookies. And some of the fudge, for all that the betting pool that
Patrick had told me about is foredoomed to failure.”

“I’m not planning on flying,” Morgana said, “but I would love some of
the cookies, and some of the fudge.”

“Thank you for backing up Janie, Morgana” Patrick said.  “Matters could
have been much worse.  However, the Tenure Committee really does look at
publications.”

“Yes, Professor Wells. Publish or join the glorious dead. Patrick, call
at once if Janie disappears. She won’t.  Krystal North had the fear of
the Goddess put into her. It was a delight to have dinner with you, and
your children are wonderful as students.  With that I must bid adieu.”
He figure became transparent and vanished from sight.

* * * * *

Great Dome of the Capital
Washington, Federal District
January 12, 2018

The atmosphere under the Capital Dome was even frostier than the
Cambridge blizzard.  Speaker Ming, three Gamesmasters, and Krystal North
stood in a circle.

“The notion that this slip of a girl can come up with such a move is
absurd,” Supreme Gamesman Kamensky announced. “She must have backers,
backers she failed to divulge.  That’s lying to this inquiry, and
grounds for more rigorous interrogation. Under the Tsar, she would be
removed to the tender graces of the Okhrana until she revealed who her
backers are. This could still be arranged.”

Grandmaster Kurchatov’s face stiffened. “Fortunately, Kamensky, this is
a civilized country, so such things do not happen here.”

“Alexander Vladimirovich,” Krystal repeated, “Cambridge is in the United
States, so such an outcome does not arise.”

“Miss North.  Really. I would not dream of violating your quaint local
customs,” Kamensky answered vociferously. “Though Miss Wells’ second, a
charming college professor a third my age, would hardly have been a
serious threat to my escorts. ”

“Alexander Vladimirovich,” Krystal said, “That young lady, as you put
it, is a first-line persona. I can name three times she had a serious
brawl with a Lord of Eternity.  She came out on top all three times. In
case you haven’t noticed, the Tsar’s Persona Corps has no one who can
stand up against an Eternal, one on one. If your unseen Russian Elite
Persona Team had tried what you suggested, Baron Supreme Gamesman
Kamensky, they would now be toast.  Charred toast. It was painfully
obvious Professor Lafayette could tell where your team would be
appearing, to the inch, and was ready to eliminate your precious
national team as they arrived. That’s before my League rode to the
rescue.  That’s Janie’s rescue.  Also Professor Lafayette’s rescue, not
that she would have needed it. Indeed, my League’s major task on arrival
would have been to sweep up the ashes. If you’d been a co-conspirator,
we would be sweeping up your ashes, too. With modest luck, the Federal
Senate would later have agreed that you had acted on your own, not on
behalf of your government, in which case America would not be ending
January by going to war with the Tsar. I hope I have made this point
adequately clear?”

Kamensky turned on Speaker Ming. “I must protest these idle American
threats.”

“Supreme Gamesman Kamensky,” Ming answered.  “Miss North was simply
clarifying the political situation for you.  I believe she is in error
on only one point. In my opinion, it would have been impossible to
convince the People and Senate of the American Republic that you had
been acting on your own.”

“In that case,” Kamensky said, “I prefer to return home.” Kamensky vanished.