MISC: The Girl Who Saved The World Part 32

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Fri Feb 19 19:03:31 PST 2016

The Continentals, comment: Who would dare seek to separate a man from
his cane? The heroine does appear to be a bit more astute than the hero is.

Chapter 4, continued

“Incredible bragging rights,” Brian announced. “Grandmasters come here
to learn City of Steel from Janie.”

“I think we agree,” Patrick said, “unless Janie has really strong
objections.”

“Just so they don’t ask me about my other variants on that move. “ She
paused, thinking. “No, I can tell them about some variants.  And
champion,” Janie explained, “Means a government persona shows up to
talk. You get a persona to watch your back.  It’s exactly like a lawyer.”

“Yes, they would be asking Janie about City of Steel, wouldn’t they,”
Patrick said.  “Having said that, these people are my guests in this
house, and you will treat them politely.” He stared at his son. Brian
nodded vigorously. “Janie, I’ll phone Morgana. It’s more polite.”

A few minutes later, there came a knock at the back door.  “Lafayette is
here!” The speaker’s voice was a rich soprano. “You called, Professor
Wells?”

Patrick stepped through the vestibule and opened the door. “I did
indeed, Morgana.” Patrick stood aside to admit the tall young woman.
She wore a baggy royal-blue sweater and loose blue jeans, but seemed
unbothered by the blinding snow, gale-force winds, and below-zero
weather.  Nor had snow lodged in her hair or clothing. Patrick turned to
his family. “I believe you all know Professor Morgana Lafayette, under
one name or another.”

Morgana took Patrick’s hand, just for a moment. “I’m not in garb, so
Morgana is good.”  She glanced at Patrick’s children as she swept around
the table. “Have you three been staying out of trouble?”  For Abigail
Wells she had a firm hug. “It’s been way too long. We should really get
together to talk. Soon. I can always be free at lunch.” Patrick decided
not to notice his twin children looking furtively at each other.

“There’s more Indian pudding if you’d like some,” Trisha announced.

“You have to ask?  Please?  I know your mom’s cooking. Or is it yours?
However, we have almost no time,” Morgana said. “I know it’s not polite,
but, Janie, please give me a fast update mind-to-mind of what they all
know.” The two women stared at each other.

“That was just what you’ve all heard,” Morgana said.  “GR, have you
folks ever had a champion before? It’s like having an attorney. What
mostly matters is that at the end Krystal North wants mentalic contact
with Janie, to confirm that what what Janie said was true.  That’s,
well, it’s not dangerous, but while that was going on Janie would be
relatively open to someone trying to tamper with her mind. I’m here to
stop that. Also,  Krystal is well behaved, but sometimes you find
persona who try to shout or bludgeon people into submission.  Worse, our
friends across the waters have some very different opinions about good
manners. Some idiot from over there might try to kidnap Janie and
interrogate her about her hypothetical contacts with the Bearer. That’s
forcibly interrogate.  I’m very definitely here to stop that. ”

“What is the issue?” Patrick asked. “Janie, you didn’t have time to tell
us everything.”

“They think I know who has the Namestone,” Janie answered. “Or I have
the clue! The clue tells them who has the Namestone.  It’s all that City
of Steel move.  The one I was going to spring at the Nationals. But
Eclipse used it first!” Once again a delicate fist pounded on the
breakfast room table. “Speaker Ming, when I was speaking to him before
before you heard him, said ‘If your parents will consent to having you
questioned by the American Persona League, we can say that you have been
questioned, everything that could be learned from you has been learned,
and therefore you should be left alone.’”