MISC: The Girl Who Saved teh World part 4

George Phillies phillies at 4liberty.net
Fri Nov 6 16:12:19 PST 2015

A short piece this time.  Stopped for a good reason in mid-paragraph.

Chapter Two
The Invisible Fortress
Evening
January 11, 2018

I awoke at half past dark.  To put it mildly, I hurt.  Some places hurt
even more than others. Yes, I was doing mind control on myself, so I
didn’t exactly feel the pain. That meant I could sleep.  I still knew I
hurt. A lot. “Hurt” was better than the alternative, which did not
involve being alive.  I’d landed the right way when I was thrown into
the wall, missed getting a disabling concussion, and dodged getting
gutted by the fellow with the knife.

One of the times when I woke up, the healing matrix  prompted me to ramp
down my mind control down, so the matrix could tell exactly where I had
been injured.  I overdid it. I cut the mind control off.  Incredible
pain swallowed me. I burst into sobs and uncontrollable tears.
Fortunately the healing matrix kept me from going into shock. After a
few minutes I remembered I could simply ramp control back up.  By then I
was soaked in sweat. The matrix was putting me back together, but it had
its own order of doing things, and some of the reasons I really hurt
were late on its list.

The healing matrix was fixing me, but…oh right, healing matrix. I
summoned the glyph for Medico, its associated rules engine.  Nothing in
violet, nothing that was killing me despite the matrix.  Of course, the
matrix should have dragged me conscious if I were dying, and it hadn’t.
  Nothing blue, long-term near-death threat.  Red warnings? Let’s see.
Three broken ribs, stitched by telekinesis.  My right shoulder? Nothing
had broken, but bits of force field were holding things where they
belonged while the matrix forced repairs. Internal bleeding from
high-impact collisions?  That had been fixed.  Gold - a black eye, a few
bone bruises, but I’ve been here before, just not so many ways at the
same time.  Green – slices, scrapes, abrasions …