LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - September 2014

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Oct 19 17:42:29 PDT 2014

On 10/19/2014 2:49 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:59:02 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
>
>> The thing is, I'm not sure that's actually true. I'm looking at the
>> webcomics model, where freeness encourages an audience that's then
>> willing to subsidize, through collections like these or other
>> outlets.

Darryl (Chevalier writer dude) can speak to webcomics freeness
fundraising better than I can.  But I doubt he'll be encouraging.

> But that model only really works I think for things that *can* go
> viral enough to build an online audience. With very few exceptions--
> most of them being more on the erotica side of the equation-- prose
> fiction really can't do it.

Honestly, prose fiction never did.  Writing has always been something
you do because you love to, not because it pays.  For a writer to become
popular, he basically has to work his heart out and then wait for
lightning to strike.  The only thing that's changed in the modern age
is, any writer can publish.

Over at Powernaut Comics, I use yet a third model.  I don't see people
paying for fiction nowadays, so I give it away and vaguely hope to make
money off advertising.  Unfortunately, my ethics thus far prevent me
from putting a ribbon-ad between every comic where people might see
them.  If I really wanted to make money off the Powernaut, I'd force
myself past that ethic...  but I think I'm better off building up an
audience first and not pissing it off.

I know. - Archie Andrews