LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - September 2014

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:35:15 PDT 2014

On 10/19/2014 8:42 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> On 10/19/2014 2:49 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
<snip>
>> But that model only really works I think for things that *can* go
>> viral enough to build an online audience. With very few exceptions--
>> most of them being more on the erotica side of the equation-- prose
>> fiction really can't do it.
>
> Honestly, prose fiction never did.  Writing has always been something you do
> because you love to, not because it pays.  For a writer to become popular, he
> basically has to work his heart out and then wait for lightning to strike.
> The only thing that's changed in the modern age is, any writer can publish.

Well, really, that's true with any medium - prose, comics, music, acting, game
design... It's a basic truth of creative fields, not something limited to writing.

> Over at Powernaut Comics, I use yet a third model.  I don't see people paying
> for fiction nowadays, so I give it away and vaguely hope to make money off
> advertising.  Unfortunately, my ethics thus far prevent me from putting a
> ribbon-ad between every comic where people might see them.  If I really wanted
> to make money off the Powernaut, I'd force myself past that ethic...  but I
> think I'm better off building up an audience first and not pissing it off.

Hmmmmmmm. I'm not sure m'self what a "good" setup for ads is. I'm sure there's
something out there...

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, going to launch a Patreon for a different
project.