LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - October 2014

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 10:08:16 PST 2014

On 11/29/2014 3:13 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Saturday, November 29, 2014 1:36:11 PM UTC-5, Andrew Perron wrote:
<snip>
>> "I love the sheer scope of bringing in an alien scientist who doesn't
>> even know about carbon-based life, let alone Earth. (Except for what
>> seems like a hint at an Orphans of Mars-era link.)
>
>It is, insomuch as "dread Venus" was first established as part of the
 > Orphans lore, and will be explored as part of that series (the third book,
 > due out next year, is even called THE TRANSIT OF VENUS). Though I've also
 > worked some of the Venus stuff into an issue of Nonfiction, and of course
 > here.

Makes sense. <3

>I'm trying to be secretive and hinty with it, but I guess it won't give
 > away too much to say that /everyone's/ heard of Venus (though not by our
 > name for it), if only in whispers and legends, and is duly and
 > appropriately frightened of it. Think of it as the home to the Eightfoldian
 > equivalent of the Great Old Ones, and you won't be too far off. So while
 > Jamy Lo wouldn't have heard of Earth, or seen evidence of carbon-based
 > life, she would know what Venus is/was.

I love it; it feels like a mingling of Wells/Verne-era sensibilities with a
modern view of the universe.

>Note that it's been established that Earth lies on a fault-line between
 > parallel universes, and that those walls between worlds get extra-blurry
 > during certain astronomical events pertaining to its closest neighbor.

Oooooo.

>> I love the
>> stage direction [Exeunt via a pocket universe.] I love the over-the-top
>> indulgence in things that could never appear in a stage play.
>
> I think Julie Taymor could pull it off, if only just.

I'm pretty sure that production would actually involve collapsing a solar
system mid-show.

>> I love the
>> spoilerous transformation of characters.
>
>One thing I was wondering, since you were such a Van fan, was what you made
 > of the events of #8, before you read #9?

At first I was disappointed, but then I was enthused!

>> I even love that he totally
>> used a climactic idea that I wanted to use elsewhere, and it's so good I
>> might end up using it anyway."
>
>If it's what I'm thinking of, I've used it before, too-- in JOLT CITY #19--
 > though not quite on this scale. :-)

Truth, truth. And I think I originally got it from something yet older, though
I can't remember what...

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, some kinda meta-origin mebbe?