8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 5, May 2014, by Brenton, Perron, Russell, and Russell

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Tue May 6 17:45:20 PDT 2014

On Monday, May 5, 2014 10:15:07 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2014 23:23:04 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
> > "Beyond the Fields" Part 5, by Saxon Brenton
>
> > In which Deidre concludes her narrative of how she came to possess the
>
> > painting. Actually containing the advice to the Host regarding the
>
> > infiltration and investigation of humans that was promised in last
>
> > month's teaser, that's what your editor gets for reading ahead.
>

> Heeheehee
>

> > Also: a name dropped: the simple joys of a shared universe.
>

> Ahhhhhhhh <3
>

> > "The Bergeron Run", by Tom Russell
>
> > In which Darkhorse enters a race, and is asked to take on a handicap.
>
> > The consequences thereof.
>

> Reading forward, thankfully this didn't have to do with any of the parts of
>
> Harrison Bergeron that are... let's say problematic

It's been a long while since I read Vonnegut's story-- I actually prefer the television movie adaptation starring Sean Astin. Could you please expound a little on said problematic aspects?

> >    Just before he went to prison, Brian Clipper once told her
>

> Wait what

Part of the fun of doing a story that's set in 2014 and makes passing reference to characters who, in the pages of JOLT CITY, are still neck-deep in 2008, is I get to do little things like this. I did something similar with the Dr.-Fay-is-going-to-win-a-Nobel thing.

Regarding Brian, he obviously wasn't in jail when he retired in 2008 (JOLT CITY # 21), nor was he in jail in the autumn of 2010 (JOURNEY INTO # 15). So *something* happened between then and now. But what? :-D

==Tom