8FOLD: Mighty Medley # 3, March 2014, by Messrs. Brenton, Perron & Russell

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 10:39:16 PST 2014

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 20:36:47 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:

> CONTENTS OF THIS ISSUE
>
> "Grudge Match", by Saxon Brenton
> A serious mistake, and the reason it was so. On the twin powers of
> fandom and literature. A promise made, and most violently kept.
>
> "Seven 'Gainst Thebes" Part 2, by Tom Russell
> Our old friend Gulliver, and the qualities that recommend him. The
> marksman Dash Adams, his druthers, and his beard. Also: the
> occupational hazards of a veterinarian: the Old West is a hard place.
>
> "Beyond the Fields" Part 3, by Saxon Brenton
> Theories regarding the origin and composition of the painting.
> Chemistry proves unequipped to describe the ineffable. Heaven, Hell,
> and the Earth between them.

>      It is well known that embodiments walk the mortal realms.  Mother
> Nature.  Father Time.  Death.  War.  In all sorts of worlds that fall
> under the description of fantastic fiction abstract ideas both profound
> and trite take on self-awareness and occasionally even material form,
> and then go about their business.  And with that in mind, it should be
> understood that Early Onset Alzheimer's made a serious mistake when he
> had adopted the habit of manifesting on a single day each year.

...oh, my. O.o

>      And the reason that this was a mistake was quite simple: Sir Terry
> Pratchett held a grudge.

YESSSSSSSS

>       At this point the more thoughtful among you might pause to wonder
> how, exactly, Sir Terry had known where Early Onset Alzheimer's was.
> It is a reasonable question.  But consider this: even in this day and
> age, when most of the population are so wedded to their social media
> that there is a growing trend of people being run over because they
> were paying more attention to their ipods than to oncoming traffic
> as they crossed the street, there are still people who actually read
> books.  And many of them read the works of the man once described as
> Britain's most shoplifted author.  Multitudes.  Legions.  Honest-to-
> god *hordes*. And they were keeping an eye out for just this occasion.

See, I expected this to make the point that social media is exactly how he
*would* know.

>     Strength failing, the author grabbed Early Onset Alzheimer's by
> the throat and threw himself backwards.  For a moment there was a
> liberating feeling of weightlessness and freedom as he hung in the
> air, his foeman struggling futilely in his grasp.
>     And then Sir Terry Pratchett dragged Early Onset Alzheimer's with
> him down into the grave.

Holy wow. <3

> First man Silke thought of for the job was Gulliver. Partially this
> was on account of they had embarked on many profitable enterprises
> together, so Silke knew he could be trusted. Partially, it was on
> account of Gulliver was just outside Bleeding Branch and was thus
> geographically convenient. And partially, it was on account of
> Gulliver being able to catch himself afire and fly; Silke reckoned
> that sort of thing might come in handy.

More recurring characters! WOO

>    Gulliver spoke again. "I suspect Silke is going to find him the
> second-best killer what walks this earth."
>    "Why not the best?" said Strife.
>    Gulliver started to answer. "Already g--"
>    Silke looked at his boy. "Not available." And then he went on his way.

Awwwwwww <3 <3 <3

>    The man twisted his mouth thinking, rubbing his beard raw in his
> palm. Finally, he said, "Your reputation precedes you, Mr. Silke. If
> you find me and you say I'm Dash Adams, well, no use denying or
> disguising. Which is fine, because I always hated this beard. Pardon
> me for a spell, Mr. Silke, so that I might rid myself of it. I won't
> run or hide, for where can I go where you surely won't find me? But I
> won't go with you neither. I like living, sir, near as much as
> killing. If I've my druthers, I'll die killing as opposed to hanging."
>    "Ain't here for the bounty, marksman. Only makes me money, which
> strikes me as selfish, unchristian. Come with me, we both make money,
> if both of us live to collect it. And if we die, we die killing."
>    Adams screwed his face again in thought. "Well, let me shave anyway."

Augh this is really good dialogue.

> "Probably because our monkey curiosity means we keep
> poking at things that we shouldn't to see what happens, and sometimes
> people just don't think through the consequences of their actions."
>      Joan returned the smile.  "You're trying to win me over with
> self-deprecating humour," she accused.
>      "Ah.  You noticed that then," said Deidre, with only a little bit
> of contrition.

A duel of wits! <3

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, it's time to d-d-d-d-discuss the
possibilities