SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1962 #7: Here Come the Reds!

mrnelson007 at gmail.com mrnelson007 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 20:14:12 PDT 2013

On Monday, March 18, 2013 9:45:46 PM UTC-4, Scott Eiler wrote:

> Why, thank you.  There aren't many who can speak to that time period;
>
> it's before even my time, except in reprints and adaptations.  So thanks
>
> for the review.

Oh, no, I can't speak to what it was like personally, either. I know probably less than you do, but it seems like how that period went from my limited knowledge, that's all. I think one of my favorite things about the Powernaut comics is how they're separated into different years and you try to tackle different eras and the styles of the time. It's a really nice touch that adds authenticity to everything.

> I'm not exactly sure how to address the United States Metahuman
>
> Registration Act in-story.  I know it must have existed from 1955
>
> onward, but it's the kind of thing that never would have been mentioned
>
> in a comic book before at least 1968.  I'll probably stick it all in the
>
> Powernaut 1962 letters page anyway, though, because we all know the
>
> Powernaut's stories are for *all* time.

You really don't have to use it, I was just being goofy.  I loved the response though.  I was generally envisioning the MRA as a resurgence of the McCarthyist sensibilities in a period after the Cuban Missile Crisis.  My current plan is to make the awakening of the first metahuman to be this world's equivalent of that.