SW10: Powernaut 1944 #2: Power Stars!

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue May 29 00:27:59 PDT 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:32:49 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> On 5/27/2012 5:22 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012 22:46:44 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>>
>>> This one's got some intricate artwork.  Good thing I had an American
>>> long weekend to get it done.
>>>
>>> http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1944.htm#2
>>
>> ...oh, that's awful. XD
>
> And it came from an actual superhero campaign.  The gamemaster did not
> let us take flak jackets as starting equipment.  Stupidity, or reality?

Stupidity. >.>v I mean, it's one thing if your players don't think of
reasonable precautions. It's yet another when you actively block them from
taking them.

>>> This episode contains my commentary on what happens when you declare
>>> archers and pistol-shooters to have superhuman powers and then send them
>>> into a war zone.  I once took part in a World War 2 superhero campaign
>>> on that basis.  It lasted one afternoon.  The Avengers movie should have
>>> taken notes.
>>
>> Feh! Body armor exists, y'know? I don't think it's especially unrealistic,
>> *especially* when giant explosion arrows exist.
>>
>> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, I mean, Captain America has a shield.
>
> Well, yeah.  But it doesn't protect you against head shots.  Funny how
> most of the costumed heroes of World War 2 never even wore helmets.

To be fair, I'm sure that's mostly due to Superman's unclad, invulnerable
head. (Can't be pierced by anything less than a bursting shell!)

> The guy with the Darkness powers probably *was* proof against bullets.
> Too bad the Nazis had artillery too.  The Darkness was not experienced
> at protecting its humans against damage.  (This was true even in 2004.
> http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/journal_dark.htm)

I really like this characterization of the Darkness. It's something that
doesn't really understand humanity, but tries.

> Oh, and I did my name research on Star Spangler.  There is apparently no
> *fictional* character of that name, but the Spangler family of
> Indianapolis really named their daughter Star.  (The odd thing is, I
> grew up there and may know Grandpa Spangler.)

Oh, now that's just painful.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, eesh.