LNH: Retrocotheric Energy

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 01:06:41 PST 2012

On Mar 7, 12:10 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 00:09:56 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps wrote:
> > I think we need to talk about this so we don't go off in too many
> > different directions.
>
> See, I disagree.  I don't think we should lock ourselves down too much on
> how it works, because there's so many viable storytelling options! (And
> it's not like it can't work differently at different times.  It's pure
> metafictional energy!  It has many facets.)

Oh!  One more thing!  I take it then if we aren't going to "lock
ourselves down" then I am free to continue to assume that minor
retcons are going to be seen by ordinary people as magic and while
people won't be aware of major retcons because their memories are
changed at the same time!  Because it has in-story significance: I
think people should not be able to remember LNH HQ moving around and
even moving from city to city or country to country and Netropolis, by
default, with it.

It reminds me of a youtube video I saw in which somebody argued that
the universe could be less than a minute old and that it all came into
being, your memories and all, at the moment when the video started.
Similarly, people in Netropolis (and the rest of the world) would have
to be able to immediately accept the new reality every time LNH HQ or
Netropolis as a whole were to relocate.

> > On last thing: the Power Kirby seems to do the same thing as
> > retrocotheric energy
>
> Not really?  They're both plot-devicey do-cosmic-stuff energy, but one is
> based on changing the past and the other is based on creating something
> new.

Well, see, if something that wasn't there is suddenly there is that
magic or a retcon?  It depends on your point of view: some people
prefer supernatural explanations, some people prefer scientific
explanations and some people are going to be aware of the
metafictional nature of reality.

Martin