ASH: ASH #115 - A Fire Afar Off Part 2: Those Who'll Play With Cats

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 02:30:03 PST 2012

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 21:04:48 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

>     "I am following a mystic portent," she smiled serenely, although it was
> difficult to hide her surprise when the man simply nodded and checked off a
> box on his pad.  Apparently they had a form for everything at the Department
> of Super-Human Affairs.

I wonder whether they have just one checkbox for "collecting mystic items
that when brought together will make an item of cosmic power", or if they
have separate ones for getting world-destroying power items before they're
brought together by a villain, bringing together items that re-hide
themselves after one use, etc.

>     As Chuck left the common room, Brightsword was still trying to explain
> to GLADI8R why a Christmas parade was held on Thanksgiving,

See if he can explain it to me next.

>     The next several years would have made for interesting light reading,
> and a good series of movies could definitely come from it, Chuck thought,

The New Don Quixote Adventures!

> The Toledo mages had clearly crafted the sword as
> a weapon to fight the giants, stripping them of their ability to change forms
> and locking them into defenseless disguises to render them easier to kill.
> Sadly, as I have found to the ruination of my career and reputation, while
> this makes it possible for a mortal to defeat them, it also makes it
> impossible for that mortal to convince anyone that he is not a madman who
> sees giants in windmills.

Ahhhh, makes sense.

>     The Wanderer also finally gave me a name for the giants, a name
> whispered among mages of the Toledo tradition.  The Kingdom of Z.

*gasp* Zonderians!?

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, as completely and utterly readable as
always.