SW10/HCC: Superhuman World 2011: The Element of Surprise

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Feb 21 17:57:22 PST 2012

On 2/21/2012 10:22 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 01:37:26 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> "Second item of business.  The Black Arts Challenge of 2011 is due by
>> the Winter Solstice.  But *which* Winter Solstice?  As we all know,
>> Earth's orbit changed in 2009.  Which was fine.  It landed in a good
>> natural 520-day orbit which fit the crop growth cycle and the Mayan
>> calendar."  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/neworbit.htm#mayas )
>>
>> "So we set a date in March 2012 old calendar, Midwinter Year 2 new
>> calendar.  But then *Ellipsis* ^&%!ed with the orbit *again!*  Now it's
>> some damn 375 days, and the Solstice is all ^&%!ed up.  What'll we do
>> with *that*?
>>
>> "Proposed.  ^&%! the Challenge.  We've got bigger business now.
>
> I dunno - doesn't winning that give you a fairly big chunk of power?  Or am
> I confused?

No, I'm just obtuse.  Yeah, under normal conditions the big magic
challenge *would* grant a whole bunch of mojo.  But that was before
Ellipsis started talking directly to the continental plates, recruiting
his own nature spirits, and relocating the whole planet.

>> There is mystic unrest already.  Even some
>> Christian pastors distrust the new technology."
>>
>> "^&%! Christian pastors!"
>>
>> "... Indeed.
>
> I like this guy. XD

Yeah, he's growing on me too.

> Fun times, though I didn't really get the "surprise".
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, bit by bit we dance forward.

Ehh, perhaps I could have included a point of view from people who were
expecting a *technological* response to Ellipsis's machinations.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.