LNH20: LNH20 Comics Presents #11

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 12:05:39 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 10:01 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:30:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >   "Ah.  I see you have returned.  Do you have the spoon?"
> >   "Yes, I do."
> >   "Then give it to me!"
> >   "I can't.  Not just yet."
> >   "Why not?"
> >   "I promised a dragon I would use it to kill Googlemesh and bring his
> > skull to him."
>
> See, this scene is based around a good idea, and it fits in the story at
> this point, but the dialogue just kind of states the facts of the matter
> baldly.

Hence the "Seriously?" "Seriously." gag.

> >   "So is this a good thing or a bad thing?" Doc Nostalgia asked.
> >   "A bad thing," January Frost said.  "If the individual spoons are
> > objects of power then imagine what someone could do with all of them!"
>
> This one's similar.  That said, the whole Schrodinger's Spoon aspect is a
> *terrific* idea, and dialoguewise, this is spiced up a bit by the whole
> "speciesism" argument.

Well, we already had a Schrodinger pizza.

Seriously, it's called mixing.  Suppose we have one spoon of destiny
and seven ordinary spoons.  Mixing causes us to appear to have eight
identical spoons.

Say you have four girls: Jane, Mary, Tina and Anna.  You look at them
again and now they are Jana, Mine, Tynn and Aara.  So which one is
Jane?  None of them are but to some extent all of them are.

> >   Ultravac had his assistant do the roll call.  "MSN: he is strong and
> > powerful, maybe powerful enough to take on Googlemesh by himself;
>
> Is this "powerful" just as in super-strength, or...?

Not really.  Strength is a matter of how much weight you can lift.
Power also involves speed.  If the Flash hit you then you would feel
that but he can't lift anything.

Power has units of energy / time.  A powerful explosion is not just an
explosion that gives off a lot of energy but one that happens so
suddenly that you can't get away in time.  The Flash is powerful
because the force of his punch is multiplied by his speed.  Trust me,
you wouldn't want to get hit by The Flash.

> > Sonic: her sonic scream will render opponents defenseless; The Yahoo:
> > his specialty is poisonous gas and, plus, he has the ability to hide
> > weapons in his costume, including machine guns and katanas; Random-
> > Thug-in-a-Red-Shirt: he has no special abilities but you can use him
> > if you need to sacrifice somebody on the team in order to complete the
> > mission."
> >   "Wait..." Random-Thug-in-a-Red-Shirt said, "what did you just say?"
>
> *cackles* Okay, that's a great gag.

*bows*

> >   "It's settled then!" the Recovery Man said.  "Tonight this
> > Assassination Squad is going to go after Googlemesh!"
>
> Easily the best scene in the issue, though the Squad could probably have
> used a bit more fleshing out.

Well, sure, I posted a description of their costumes on the author's
group and Lalo suggested the nickname Bing for MSN.

> >   "Strange," Googlemesh said.  "I have been away for so long.  I
> > remembered Netropolis was in Europe!  In Norway!  No, wait... that's
> > not right either... it was in Greece... on top of a mountain... or was
> > it?  This is obviously not Norway or Greece... and even if Netropolis
> > was in Europe before it couldn't have been in both Norway and Greece
> > anyway.  I must be remembering things wrong!"
> >   "Hmm," Walter said, "could it be..."
> >   "It is odd," Googlemesh said, "I also vaguely remember LNH HQ in
> > Azerbaijan--"
>
> Again, good idea, just expressed in a plain way.

I thought we had already talked about this?  LNH HQ has always moved
around.

> > The
> > Assassination Squad: Michael Steven "MSN" Nelson, Yiling "Sonic" Yang,
> > John "The Yahoo" Smith and Random-Thug-in-a-Red-Shirt, Googlemesh and
> > the Cranium created by Martin Phipps
>
> Hmmm!  The fact that the name "MSN" comes from his initials makes sense;
> I'd like to have seen it in the story.  Also, what's the Character
> Usability on these guys?

Actually, Michael Steven "MSN" Nelson, Yiling "Sonic" Yang and John
"The Yahoo" Smith all made previous appearances in Generation 2.0 #'s
1-2.  Sonic has a mole on her right cheek, a tattoo on her left arm
and looks very nice in a dress.  MSN is essentially her body guard.
The Yahoo is the person who killed Google Man, Google Lad's mentor.
Google Lad finds it difficult to track The Yahoo because there are so
many John Smiths in Netropolis.

I really don't have any plans for these characters.  I'm making things
up as I go along.

Martin