LNH20: LNH20 Comics Presents #11

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:01:55 PST 2012

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:30:25 +0000 (UTC), Martin Phipps wrote:

<snip>
>   "Ah.  I see you have returned.  Do you have the spoon?"
>   "Yes, I do."
>   "Then give it to me!"
>   "I can't.  Not just yet."
>   "Why not?"
>   "I promised a dragon I would use it to kill Googlemesh and bring his
> skull to him."

See, this scene is based around a good idea, and it fits in the story at
this point, but the dialogue just kind of states the facts of the matter
baldly.

>   "So is this a good thing or a bad thing?" Doc Nostalgia asked.
>   "A bad thing," January Frost said.  "If the individual spoons are
> objects of power then imagine what someone could do with all of them!"

This one's similar.  That said, the whole Schrodinger's Spoon aspect is a
*terrific* idea, and dialoguewise, this is spiced up a bit by the whole
"speciesism" argument.

>   Ultravac had his assistant do the roll call.  "MSN: he is strong and
> powerful, maybe powerful enough to take on Googlemesh by himself;

Is this "powerful" just as in super-strength, or...?

> Sonic: her sonic scream will render opponents defenseless; The Yahoo:
> his specialty is poisonous gas and, plus, he has the ability to hide
> weapons in his costume, including machine guns and katanas; Random-
> Thug-in-a-Red-Shirt: he has no special abilities but you can use him
> if you need to sacrifice somebody on the team in order to complete the
> mission."
>   "Wait..." Random-Thug-in-a-Red-Shirt said, "what did you just say?"

*cackles* Okay, that's a great gag.

>   "It's settled then!" the Recovery Man said.  "Tonight this
> Assassination Squad is going to go after Googlemesh!"

Easily the best scene in the issue, though the Squad could probably have
used a bit more fleshing out.

>   "Strange," Googlemesh said.  "I have been away for so long.  I
> remembered Netropolis was in Europe!  In Norway!  No, wait... that's
> not right either... it was in Greece... on top of a mountain... or was
> it?  This is obviously not Norway or Greece... and even if Netropolis
> was in Europe before it couldn't have been in both Norway and Greece
> anyway.  I must be remembering things wrong!"
>   "Hmm," Walter said, "could it be..."
>   "It is odd," Googlemesh said, "I also vaguely remember LNH HQ in
> Azerbaijan--"

Again, good idea, just expressed in a plain way.

> The
> Assassination Squad: Michael Steven "MSN" Nelson, Yiling "Sonic" Yang,
> John "The Yahoo" Smith and Random-Thug-in-a-Red-Shirt, Googlemesh and
> the Cranium created by Martin Phipps

Hmmm!  The fact that the name "MSN" comes from his initials makes sense;
I'd like to have seen it in the story.  Also, what's the Character
Usability on these guys?

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, really needs to get that nailed down
for all the LNH20 characters.