SW10/HCC: Summer of Discontent #2: The War

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Sep 22 17:28:16 PDT 2011

On 9/21/2011 7:02 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 00:12:44 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>

>> Rolling Thunder is a black woman almost fifty years old.  She opened an
>> envelope, read the message, and said, "Okay.  Team private briefing."
>
> Slipped into present tense for a moment there.  Minor quibble.

Oh, but if the correspondent had said "She *was* a black woman", you'd
be asking, "Then what is she now?"

>> Rad Man is Latino and young - only thirty-six.  He said, "Vietnam really
>> knows we're here?"
>>
>> "Yes.  They *asked* us here."
>>
>> "They really fighting China?"
>>
>> "North China, Red China, yes.  South China, Greater Hong Kong, is on
>> Vietnam's side.  *Our* side."
>
> ...did we see the China split before?  I remember Red China being
> discussed, but...

I think President Obama mentioned the Libyan and Chinese civil wars in
passing, when trying to motivate Summer Morgan for Nashville duty.

>> Rad Man said, "Que!?  We up against underwater invasion!?"
>
>> Rad Man said, "Que?  *If we can*?"
>
> Two in a row seems a bit much.

I suppose if he'd said "What?" it would be a bit much too.  Thanks for
the reminder.

>> Off the elephant, a man in ceremonial robes came.  He had two swords, in
>> holsters.
>
> You mean scabbards? `` *The Mysterious Mr. Nitpick!*

That's it!  Sometimes I need help to pick the exact sausage I want to
write.  8{D>

>> Swordhand said, "Oh, goody.  Sword fight!"  Energy blades sprouted from
>> his hands!
>
> Suddenly this guy is cool!

Just wait 'til the sequel, then.

>> Lightning came from the sky.  Marines started falling.
>
> More description!  More!  BWAHAHAHAHAAAA

We'll see...

>> Their guard said, "That is Lac Long Quan, the ancestral Dragon-King of
>> Vietnam!  All the Viet people are descended from him!  Silly Americans,
>> you spent all that time in Vietnam and you haven't heard of Lac Long
>> Quan?
>
> Silly Americans... um.. something about kids?

And their damn dog too!

>> I considered putting Navy SEALs in this story alongside Our Heroes.
>> SEALs *aren't* busy in SW10 Central Asia, because Osama bin Laden was
>> disposed of years ago - by Wyatt Ferguson!  Really.  But not the way you
>> think.  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2007/raleigh.htm )  ...
>
> Huh.  Did the timeline stay in that state?  It seems very
> temporal-intertia-ish.

The past is indeed full of inertia.  But if someone in 2007 steps into a
time machine and never comes back, he's still changed 2007.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.