SW10/HCC: Summer of Discontent #2: The War

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:02:41 PDT 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 00:12:44 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> THE WAR!
> The United States vs. *South* Vietnam!

...interesting.

> Rolling Thunder is a black woman almost fifty years old.  She opened an
> envelope, read the message, and said, "Okay.  Team private briefing."

Slipped into present tense for a moment there.  Minor quibble.

> Rad Man is Latino and young - only thirty-six.  He said, "Vietnam really
> knows we're here?"
>
> "Yes.  They *asked* us here."
>
> "They really fighting China?"
>
> "North China, Red China, yes.  South China, Greater Hong Kong, is on
> Vietnam's side.  *Our* side."

...did we see the China split before?  I remember Red China being
discussed, but...

> Rad Man said, "Que!?  We up against underwater invasion!?"

> Rad Man said, "Que?  *If we can*?"

Two in a row seems a bit much.

> Off the elephant, a man in ceremonial robes came.  He had two swords, in
> holsters.

You mean scabbards? `` *The Mysterious Mr. Nitpick!*

> Swordhand said, "Oh, goody.  Sword fight!"  Energy blades sprouted from
> his hands!

Suddenly this guy is cool!

> Lightning came from the sky.  Marines started falling.

More description!  More!  BWAHAHAHAHAAAA

> Their guard said, "That is Lac Long Quan, the ancestral Dragon-King of
> Vietnam!  All the Viet people are descended from him!  Silly Americans,
> you spent all that time in Vietnam and you haven't heard of Lac Long
> Quan?

Silly Americans... um.. something about kids?

> I considered putting Navy SEALs in this story alongside Our Heroes.
> SEALs *aren't* busy in SW10 Central Asia, because Osama bin Laden was
> disposed of years ago - by Wyatt Ferguson!  Really.  But not the way you
> think.  (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2007/raleigh.htm )  ...

Huh.  Did the timeline stay in that state?  It seems very
temporal-intertia-ish.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, now for the next chapter...