LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 20:23:59 PST 2011

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:50:26 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:

> When I say he's been around for a long time and possibly in the Saviors,
> the important thing is that he wasn't a sorcerer back then.

Oooooooh.

> He was a post-
> pulp adventurer, with the low level net.power of learning how to use
> anything a lot faster than normal (with a little experimentation, bonus
> points if he has a manual). His friendship with Kid E starts from the
> obvious pairing of their abilities; Kid E would come up with crazy
> gadgets, and not-yet-named-character-who-will-become-Professor-Penumbra
> would often be the one actually operating it.

That makes a lot of sense!

> Then came the Killfile. He escaped it, possibly by virtue of his powers
> being so weak, and continued “pulping away” at cases that were also below
> the Killfile's radar, probably sometimes with Kid E.

*nods* Note also that the Killfile literally only affected the US - for
example, you could jump right across the border between Alaska and the
Yukon and have it switch on and off (though possibly with messy effects).

Personally, I've got to wonder how it worked at Niagara Falls, especially
considering that Killfile is an impediment of net.elemental Thread and
Thread is the net.equivalent of Water.

> I'd imagine in the
> Killfile period he must have had some dealings with WHATEVER and January
> Frost and anything else we're leaving active in that period. (Also, I
> imagine there was probably *some* metaphysical character in the 90s
> scene; if we're being true to the 90s, probably a person with
> supernatural origins, and a trenchcoat. Maybe Blackbird's mother or
> father. That character would have been taken away by the Killfile.)

*nodnods*

> Apparently, word got out somehow amongst Dark Gods and other
> extradimensional entities with revenges to settle on Earth, that the
> Killfile is about to expire. They started building up their forces,
> rebuilding their cults (some who never had cults started building one),
> preparing to attack in strength as soon as they're able.

Darn these trans-temporal gossips!

> He knew new net.heroes would probably start popping up the moment the
> Killfile went down. But he figured it would be counting too much on luck,
> to expect that we'd have one mystic type who's powerful and prepared
> enough to deal with the kind of barrage that would probably happen. So he
> got to what he does best: learning. He got all the grimoires and tomes he
> could find (and he probably had a pile in storage from 15sh years of neo-
> pulp adventuring) and read everything.

Awesome - a self-made Sorcerer Supreme.

> Probably very frustrating, since
> magic didn't actually work as long as the Killfile was in place, so he
> had to practice and hope he was getting it right... but on the other
> hand, he was able to read a few tomes that, without the Killfile, would
> have destroyed his mind or corrupted his soul or something like that.

Hmmmmm.  I figure that the Killfile didn't mess with magic itself so much
as humans' ability to use it.

> Physically, I see him as a lanky dude, with the odd skin tone of someone
> of very mixed race but who almost never gets any sunlight (a grayish kind
> of beige), long straight dark hair, and dark eyes. He grew a mustache,
> because you're just not taken seriously without one, but his looks rather
> floppy. Not sure about the style.

Well, if he's a magic-type with facial hair, he needs a goatee.  Else you
just look silly.

> As for outfit, he'll always have an
> extremely old-fashioned 3-piece suit in a dark color, mystical implements
> and ingredients stuffed in every pocket, and a black or gray trenchcoat.

Ooooooh.  Hm.  Y'know, why not go for a wool peacoat instead?

> Some piece of mystical jewelry around the neck, and a lot of rings; and a
> walking stick that, to twist a popular trope, hides a *ceremonial* sword.

Nice.

> And if anyone says that's a rebooted Weirdness Magnet, I'll be forced to
> answer, “well, not intentionally”.

Mwahahahaha.  Fun how the same ideas recirculate in our heads, isn't it?

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, the Hoary Hosts of H. Rider Haggard!