LNH/Meta: Reboot Redux

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 22:04:05 PDT 2011

On Nov 5, 10:31 am, Lalo Martins <lalo.mart... at gmail.com> wrote:
> quoth Andrew Perron as of Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:41:37 +0000:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:52:34 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> >> LNH20: Legion of Net.Heroes (or at least the first arc)
>
> > I definitely want some specific title for the core title of the world.
> > Some brainstorming:
>
> > Awesome Comics #1
> > Superlative Legion of Net.Heroes #1
> > Really Seriously Awesome Comics #1
> > Net.Heroism #1
> > Net.Action #1
> > Adventure Times Twenty #1
>
> I'm in favour of actually having Legion of Net.Heroes in the title. My
> preferences are either
> Legion of Net.Heroes v3
> or maybe
> All-New Legion of Net.Heroes
>
> Also, I'm open to the argument that the core title tells present-day
> stories and a different title (Tales of the LNH?) flashbacks the
> beginning with the structure I proposed. Maybe the core title should be
> really the core title in the metafictional level, leading the current
> events that all other titles gravitate around, and being posted in a more
> or less cascade style.
>
> >> The framing story I
> >> had proposed earlier was that the LNH (and possibly net.ahumans in
> >> general) were secret until here and for some reason just went public,
> >> but I'm not married to that if it doesn't work for you.
>
> > I like the idea of there being some kind of tradition of heroing.
> > Maybe... maybe it was around, got messed up during the '80s, and
> > reappeared when the LNH came together?  Hmmmm.  Maybe too cliche.
>
> After I posted this I started thinking a tradition would be good too. I
> wanted to write Professor Penumbra as being around for a while, and if
> you wanted to keep Kid E more or less similar to the original, you'd need
> space for his parents.
>
> But an easy out to reconcile those is to keep all heroing from whenever
> it started (late 60s?) until the day we start posting underground, in
> urban legend territory.
>
> I wanted to link the existence of powered people to the Net, with some
> bogus explanation being thrown around in Professor Penumbra. That would
> put the first wave in the late 60s with Arpanet, the second in the early
> 80s with Compuserve and the BBS Age, and the third in the 92 with wide-
> open internet and the Web. (What? That's when the Classic LNH started?
> How shocking! What an amazing coincidence! *clears throat*)

I'm still avoiding any major spoilers.

Can you guys somehow make each of the teams somehow representative of
their eras?  I mean, the LNH was representative of its era: all the
place names had dots in them as if the places were newsgroups
(Net.ropolis, Sig.cago, etc.).  You don't have to go do a lot of
research to determine what sort of references would be appropriate for
the 60s and 80s because I, for one, wouldn't get the jokes anyway but
surely for the modern era there should be some reference to the modern
era.  Maybe you can have a hero named the Twitter who can relay
information instantly but is limited to sending messages of length no
more than  200 characters.  Or a hero named Google who can perform
searches quickly and always find what he is looking for.  Likewise the
comic book references can also reflect the times.  Instead of lag you
can refer to Millar-time which causes stories that should have ended
in one issue to spread out over six.  Or you can describe a time
machine as "Bendising time and space".

Here's a scary fact: Brian Bendis and Mark Millar are both younger
than I am.  We're not young kids making fun of authority anymore.  At
least I'm not.

Martin