[MV] The Super Wizard From Space #7

Wil Alambre wilalambre at gmail.com
Sat May 7 17:19:19 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2011 23:01:34 +0000 (UTC), Wil Alambre wrote:
>
>> "The third rule, each challenge must
>> be witnessed by a space-champion. A third one. That is not
>> involved in the fight."
>
> Has this one been followed so far?

Since I'm basically making things up as I'm going along with minimal
plotting, the natural answer would be "no". However, I do have a kind of
a cheat on this one :)

Challenges are between *champions* specifically, which the Super Wizard
 From Space has only met one of. This hasn't been fully revealed yet
(or, more honestly, hasn't been made entirely clear), but the champions
are the ones who have those crowns. I'll make sure that gets put
described officially in issue eight or nine.

So the Super Devil is one of the space-champions, while Double Hell was
the realm of his super-civilization. And the Super Devil was being a
kind of a dick, skirting around the rules by technically *not* challenging.

>> "Pete?" Gavrilo spat back in radio waves. "Is that you, you
>> traitorous tako?"
>
> I love this line.

Thanks. I like Pete. Space cowboy octopi make for some great fun.

>> "Shut up! Shut up about my mother!" the furious screaming was
>> almost impossible to make out over the transmissions.
>
> Not the reaction I was expecting!

I hope, despite the rushed writing, the mother-was-made-into-sushi bit
came out all right :)

>> If this issue seems off, then you're not alone. With a busy
>> schedule over the last couple weeks, I found myself with next to
>> no time to finish this issue before my self-imposed Tuesday
>> deadline. I kind of find the end result a little exposition-heavy
>> and not much forward progress in the plot (it kind of ends in the
>> same place as the previous issue). I'll try to do better next time.
>
> Honestly, I liked it.  Very flavorful; exposition isn't a bad thing, as
> long as it's delivered with characterization and care.  And you seem to
> have a knack for pulling out new, interesting facts about the characters.

Thanks for the kind words. I try to make everything fun to read, even
the exposition stuff. I actually make it a point to cramp in what I hope
are "great lines" in ever issue. It makes me pay more attention to each
sentence, trying to make sure they are individually as good as they can
be. I've been getting some advice from friends and I hope that, over the
course of this occasionally-rambling series, I can improve my overall
writing.

Speaking of the series, join us Tuesday for next issue's...

THE AMBUSH OF THE MONSTER BEES!

Wil Alambre, follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/wilalambre