SW10: December 2010 #5: Cauldron Book II Part 5 (of 7)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Mar 31 18:18:47 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:52:36 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> Duly noted.  I'll contemplate the wording.  But (1) the woman making that
>> observation was in shock at the time; (2) chipmunks "scamper", Summer Morgan
>> does not.
>
> As to the former, I don't think she was writing it *while* having a truck
> fall on her...

Actually, she did!  Brain2Web isn't *just* for giving villains an excuse to whip
out their pocketknives and do brain surgery.

In-story, the editor of the Superhuman World web site (formerly Wyatt Ferguson,
now his boss Katerina Katzmann) edits the Brain2Web feed to produce a coherent
account.  That's probably a good thing for her to announce in Editor's Notes at
the start of each book of Cauldron.  It might be a shame that Ms. Katzmann has
English as a second language, and can't properly reflect the best wording that
Summer should have been using as she lost consciousness...

Maybe I should have a "Letters to the Editor" page on SW10!  But it's not like
I'd have to post that here, because all my letters come from here anyway.  8{D>

>>> Toe golems. O.o What.
 >>
>> Oh, why not.  I don't have a detailed origin story for this guy, but I've used
>> him before, and I like his power set more and more.
>
> I'm... that phrase needs more details! @-@

If you think so, Summer probably thinks so too.  I'll have her ask some
questions in the rewrite.  But she'll be asking them the day after, because
there are more pressing concerns on the day she meets the Toe Golems.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.