META: Surface Deconstruction vs. Actual Deconstruction

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 03:21:06 PDT 2011

On Mar 29, 3:18 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:

> See, the thing about deconstruction is, it's mostly pointing out the flaws
> in something

Well, then I would say that when you give Spiderman organic
webshooters you are literally saying "artificial webshooters don't
make sense" (deconstruction) and then you are finding a way around
it.

> and showing a world where actions have the consequences they
> "should" have.

It's not hard to figure out what the consequences should be.  Think of
the discussion in the movie Minority Report.

"Why did you catch the ball?"
"Because it was going to fall?"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes.  Of course."
"And we are just as sure when we arrest someone who is going to commit
a crime that they are going to commit that crime."
"That's not the same thing."

Well, maybe not, but we get through life by predicting how other
people are going to react.  When we give someone a present we expect
them to say "Thank you".  When we go to McDonald's we expect someone
to give us a Big Mac.  So when we read a story and we expect something
to happen and it doesn't happen the way we expect then it feels a bit
off.  So if we write a new story based on the old story and we have it
end the way we think it should end is that deconstruction,
reconstruction or just trying to tell a better story?

> Is believability the same thing as realism?  I'm not sure.

Yes, of course, except when truth is stranger than fiction.

Martin