LNH/Contest: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #40 HCC16

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Mon Jan 24 21:39:48 PST 2011

In article <ihle25$687$1 at usenet-its.stanford.edu>,
Saxon Brenton  <saxonbrenton at hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon 24 Jan 2011 Andrew (pwerdna at gmail.com) wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the original (well, I mean, I've *heard* of it
>> but I've never *experienced* it). This works well nevertheless, but
>> I'm curious; what poetic form is it?
>
>From what I picked while doing research, 'Wreck' is a ballad and should
>technically follow either Common Metre or the looser Ballad Metre, with
>something like abab or abcb rhyming format. 'Wreck' turned out to be
>fast and loose with some of its ryhming, and 'Rescue' is even looser still.

     ba BA BA ba BA ba ba BA BA ba ba...very irregular and syncopated meter.
I mean, there's one sequence that feels like it goes 4/4, 3/4 and 2/4 in
subsequent measures.  It mostly hangs around a 4/4 with the emphasis on beat
three, I suppose.  Let's just say I wouldn't want to try to match it beat for
beat in a filk, it's very high degree of difficulty.

     Dave Van Domelen, has liked that song since around 1980.