LNH/Contest: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #40 HCC16

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 08:01:35 PST 2011

On Jan 24, 9:55 pm, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon 24 Jan 2011 Andrew (pwer... at gmail.com) wrote:

> > I'm not familiar with the original (well, I mean, I've *heard* of it
> > but I've never *experienced* it). This works well nevertheless, but
> > I'm curious; what poetic form is it?
>
> From what I picked while doing research, 'Wreck' is a ballad and should
> technically follow either Common Metre or the looser Ballad Metre, with
> something like abab or abcb rhyming format. 'Wreck' turned out to be
> fast and loose with some of its ryhming, and 'Rescue' is even looser still.

Ah, yes.  Interesting that we all picked longer poetic forms for this
HCC - compared to what RACC has done in the past, anyway.

> And then when I checked the wiki page last night, and there was a
> description of ballad metre consisting of alternating lines of iambic
> tetrameter and iambic trimeter - which frankly would have scared the crap
> out of me if I'd know that at the time and tried to adhere to it.

Oooooh.  Man, challenging poetic forms - they are frightening yet
fascinating.

> My reading of 'Wreck' indicated that the beat of the first and third lines
> broke them in two halves, with rhyming words at the end of both halves.
> Then the end of the second and third lines often rhymed with each other,
> and even when they didn't tended to end in a word of two or more syllables.
> Hence I tried to follow a pattern of:
> a a
> c c
> With a and c rhymes being folowed close to scrupulously, and the b syllable
> count being followed close to scrupulously and the b rhymes being a bonus
> to be used when possible.

Innnnteresting.

> > How do you *pronounce* that?
>
> I googled 'Chippewa mythology' and found the wiki article on 'Anishinaabe
> traditional beliefs'. Comparing the different spellings of the names
> (Mishibizhiw / Mishipeshu) I broke it down into either:
> Mee-shee-beez-shew or Mee-shee-pee-shew.

Hmmmm, makes sense.  I'd love to see that name on an action figure.

> > How many LNH appearances did he *have* before that, anyway?
>
> Uh... I remember SS being discussed a lot in Constellation, but only turning
> up once to say his goodbyes to Squid Boy. So add in his guest star appearance
> in L-ALad, and I make this his third appearance, with the first as the star.

Ah, see, that's what I thought.  Back in the day, I never knew who he
was; I assumed I'd run into him in the archives eventually!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, Byronic!