SW10/HCC: Character List (HCC #22: Someone Else's Characters)

Wil Alambre wilalambre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 19:44:16 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-02, at 7:43 PM, Scott Eiler <seiler at eilertech.com> wrote:

> On 8/2/2011 10:26 AM, Wil Alambre wrote:

> What I would like is for authors to email me with a space-going race from their fiction/imprints that I could have appear in my super wizard arc. It doesn't have to be specific named-characters in that race, just the regular sort that would be at this thing is fine. However, since I have a fuzzy memory at best, I would like that email to have a short who's-who character-card-like write-up. Something like this...
>
> Well then.  I have a race in mind, and it's not even The Trillions.
>
> ALIEN RACE:
>  The Space Jellyfish
> GENERAL CONCEPT:
>  A sentient race of jellyfish that float in atmosphere, communicate electrically and psionically, and travel through space
> KEY ISSUE TO READ FOR FLAVOUR:
>  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/jellyfish.htm, "The Great Jellyfish Hunt", November 2002.  Sequels through 2004 available by hyperlink from there.
> SHORT DESCRIPTION:
>  The Jellyfish are native to fresh water, and live in hive minds.  They are one of the "legitimate" Galactic races, alongside Greens, humanlike Caladrians, snake-like Gronites, and Tripods.  Until recently they exiled renegades to Earth through a warp gate.  On Earth the renegades interacted with terrorists and militiamen, until they made legitimate government contact.  Now the Jellyfish have evacuated their renegades from Earth and the Galaxy, to avoid the advance of The Trillions.
> WHO WOULD THEY SEND:
>  They do have ranks and offices, such as 'Keeper of Exiles".  But as hive-mind creatures, they would send a large party.
> HOW WOULD THEY FIGHT IF THEY HAD TO:
>  They have mind control which works nicely upon non-psionic species.  They can also generate lightning bolts.
> STORY AND ISSUE THEY APPEARED IN WITH REX:
>  None or off-screen
> CREDIT TO APPEAR IN NOTES:
>  Space Jellyfish copyright 2011 by Eiler Technical Enterprises.

Ha, this is excellent, thank you! :D

>> You are free to use the wizard and the gong, I imagine the gist of the appearance being the gong (a metal instrument that is a mile long in diameter!) and the wizard appears and his sole motivation is to be able to hit the gong with enough force at the precise angle to return home. Since he will be appearing in your stories in your universes, you can happily play with his power levels how you like to fit him in better (they are already a little flexible due to comic-book plot requirements), toning him down due to "different laws in this dimension" or whatever you like. As long as, in the end, him and the gong disappear, continuing on, I'll even treat whatever happened as in-continuity. Finally, due to the appearance-disappearence plot-mcguffin, multiple authors can use his if they want; we can then just stitch the various appearances in an order that makes the most sense, with the last one then leading into his return to his series. :)
>>

> Oh, my.  The thought occurs to me:  This guy might believe that the best way to leave a universe is to pump immeasurable power into it to make it disappear.  The people of other universes might just get annoyed at that.

I know I would be a tad offended. Might even write a sternly worded letter. "Dear apocalyptic gentleman. Where do you get off? Signed, everyone." :)

> If I might ask:  How well would the Super Wizard from Space respond to a determined mental attack?  I'm guessing he has even better than wizard-level defenses.

I never gave it any thought. Maybe he relies on the crown to protect him? I guess I'll find out when if I read an issue where that comes up ;p

- Wil