ASH: ASH #113 - A Suit of Sables Part 4: But A Shadow

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 11:48:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:14:24 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

>      Darkness poured from the mouth of Akuryu's new draconic form, corroding
> the pavement where it struck but missing its targets.  Lightfoot had used his
> ability to impart speed to hustle Solar Max and Scorch out of the way,
> Centurion and Contact had simply used superhumanly powerful leg muscles to
> leap to safety, Meteor had yanked Justice out of the beam's path and Arin had
> detonated her power from the soles of her feet and launched herself away even
> more quickly than her lover's leaping had managed.  Other than Justice, it
> was a maneuver they had practiced together hundreds of times in various
> simulated combat exercises, and Justice was well-trained enough to trust
> Meteor to pull him away.

The rest of the battle is excellent, but this paragraph feels a bit... I
don't know, telling instead of showing?  Not, I hasten to point out, that I
would know how to fix it, or, indeed, that I generally do well at action
scenes myself.

> Rather than waste time finding the minimum
> required force, Centurion simply drew his spatha, its edge reinforced with
> collapsinum threads, and sliced through the hinges.

See, I read this as "spatula" and immediately had Easily-Discovered Man
flashbacks.

>      "PUPPY!" the scarab boomed, sounding like a delighted child.

Awwwwww! ^.^ Best thing <3

>      The minor elemental spirit that Lady Sable had left behind in LU-62's
> head sighed contentedly.  Feeding Jane's darker side...and feeding ON
> it...was proving to be a very satisfying task.

Ohshi--

>      The Family was created wayyyy back in ASH #3, and the false fusion of
> Contact and Paul Mahler took place in ASH #9.

Have we had an actual Constellationization in the ASHniverse since then?

Good stuff!  More of an actual climax than I expected from discussing your
plans, though the anticlimactic aspect was, of course, appropriate.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, doom doom doom