SW09: The Warm December, or One Last Bit of Sun

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Mar 1 18:58:33 PST 2010

On Mar 1, 9:28 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:56:36 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
> >> Heh heh heh.  Funny, but it could be tightened up a bit.
>
> > Do you think I should actually explain about the Doom Koala of Speed,
> > or should I just use my usual phrase "like a monkey on crack"?  That
> > phrase comes in handy whenever I write about universes without koalas
> > on speed.
>
> Oh, the "koala on speed" part is good.  I'd just rephrase it.  Maybe
> something like "People say I dash about the landscape like a koala on
> speed. This is because they've never actually met him." Or something like
> that.

I'll work on that, thanks.

> > I agree... the phrase "Treasure Hunt" would be just as applicable for
> > most comic-book stories.  But I've added a bit of explanation to my
> > own story, because the Engines of Reality would be an easy fix to the
> > Superhuman World's problems.  Too bad it's not gonna happen that easy
> > if I can help it.
>
> Excellent; that was just enough exposition, IMHO.

Thanks.

> > Explanation #1:  The Trillions have a security caste that's a bit
> > "alienated" from their main body, and more likely to either "go
> > native" or recruit from the natives.  Earthlings are evenly divided
> > among disbelief, outrage, and desire to sign up.  I plan to explore
> > life among the Trillions more as the storyline proceeds.
>
> > Explanation #2:  I wrote this part of the story as a challenge.
>
> I see.  I'm still confused as to what exactly happened to Max and why he's
> staying.  Also: challenge?

I see I'll have to write more about poor Max.  But there are plenty of
parallels to him in American history.  The best one seems to be:  the
famous New England Indian named Squanto actually crossed the Atlantic
Ocean several times before the Pilgrims arrived.  That is to say, he
defected to Europe as soon as they invaded.

And the challenge came from my fiancee... yes, dear.  I may have
invented The Trillions, but we've been coming up with a lot of their
escapades together.