8Fold: My Father's Son #1

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 10:55:27 PDT 2010

On Jun 17, 8:11 am, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Martin Phipps Martin Phipps (martinphip... at yahoo.com)  wrote
>
> > On Jun 14, 7:00 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Overall, interesting concept, mildly clunky infodump-y execution.
>
> > I don't know. I figured "black cape" meant his father was a villain.
> > That was thrown out there as bait as far as I was concerned. I assume
> > that Saxon is going to reveal more about him gradually rather than
> > dump all the information at once.
>
> Well, yes, kinda.  As I wrote in end notes, the first two issues were
> going to be one larger issue.  There wil be a bit more about his dad in
> issue 2 - and in that regard both Andrew and yourself are right: all
> that info in one big issue would be even more expository clunky, but in
> the revised two part scenario it allows me to spread out the reveal a
> bit.

You're being to hard on yourself: if you had posted the first two
issues together it would have been longer but that wouldn't have made
the first half any more of an information dump and any less
intriguing.  Now if you do dump all the information you have on his
father in the second issue then you would be committing a sin IMO: it
is better to go another 98 issues and then reveal his father's back
story in the the final issue number one hundred "spectacular double
sized extravaganza" which would then inevitably end up being a
disappointment after all the years of build up.

Hmm.  On second thought, dump away. :)

Martin