NTB/LNH/ELSEWHIRL/HCC11: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #38

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 12:15:43 PDT 2010

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:57:08 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

>      What changes would this bring about?, he wondered as he stared at
> his map.  He didn't know, but was willing to admit that the results
> might surprise him.  Up until a few years ago he would have said that
> the first amendment rights would have remained inviolate thanks to the
> noise made by free speech fetishists.  But then the Westbo.org Baptist
> Church had made themselves so obnoxious that the government had passed
> laws prohibiting protests at military funerals.  And a conservative
> administration at that.

Ah, okay, so it *starts* in the present day and then moves forward.

>      What Munlop was prepared to bet on was that the most hysterical
> fringe of the gun rights lobby were going to die, en masse.  They would
> not be able to understand, let alone accept, that this was a trap that
> they couldn't fight or scream their way out of.  They would walk into
> the trap of their own free will, blinded to the danger they were in by
> their own self-righteousness.  Then they'd try to use their phallic
> symbol substitutes in a way that was no longer permitted, at which point
> they would inevitably became eligible for the Darwin Awards...  Which
> was to say their heads would detonate, laminating his brains across
> nearby walls and peppering the area with high velocity bone shrapnel.

In-character, it makes sense for him to think this.  Out of character, I'd
expect someone to do some serious spellbreaking before too long; possibly
Occultism Kid or another LNHer, possibly an NTBer who likes carrying heat -
heck, possibly one of those aforementioned fringe.

>      You know, one of these days I should probably just create a
> sibling anthology title to _LNHv2_ called _Misanthropic Tales of the
> Net.Trenchcoat Brigade_ and be done with it.  This is the third time an
> NTB story has shouldered its way into this LNH series.  On the other
> hand, not only is it funnier to have the running joke where they do that,
> but its thematically appropriate for those disreputable Trenchcoaters
> to take what they need from the Legion as circumstances dictate.

It really does.  Of course, an ongoing NTB title might spur other writers
into activity... or it might put the onus of ongoing productivity on them,
sinking them into writer's block on the subject. (Something I've been
suffering from lately, despite a burst of inspiration a few days ago...)

Overall, very much enjoyed; the plot felt complete, and it took a very
different tack on the subject than the other stories.

The HCCs have been great for getting people out to write.  The flipside of
the onus; no need to continue storylines here, and if you don't feel like
participating, you don't need to!  Just wait 'til one that inspires you
comes along!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, yay for Elseworlds!