SW09: December 2009: The Mayas Were Right!: Artwork

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:16:06 PST 2010

On Jan 25, 9:54 am, Scott Eiler <sei... at eilertech.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 7:23 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:22:16 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
> > > As part of my ongoing effort to catch up with cover art, I've updated
> > > my old RACC High Concept contest entry
> > >http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/trillions.htm#maya.  Cheap and
> > > fast, but hopefully eye-grabbing and descriptive.
>
> > This one points to The Trillions again
>
> To the Maya postlude to the Trillions story, actually.

It still points to the top of the page here.  Still, I see it now!

> > Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, also, the title should either be "The
> > Mayans Were Right" or "The Maya Were Right".
>
> I thought so at first too, but the convention seems to be:
>
> Maya = the civilization itself, or a member thereof.
>
> Mayan = pertaining to the civilization.
>
> Mayas = members of the civilization.
>
> Mayans = not in general use.
>
> But admittedly my source is the Web.  If you convince me I'm wrong,
> I'll help you try to convince Wikipedia.

Hmmmm.  Wikipedia does indeed use "Mayas", though a quick Google seems
to show "Mayans" as equally represented (for example,
http://www.crystalinks.com/mayanhistory.html and
http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/17577/valencian-archaeologists-find-mayan-figurehead-in-guatemala
.  So it seems that they're both correct for "members of the
civilization".  Learn something new every day!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, but what of the Olmec?