RACCIES: Points To Be Made, Questions To Vote On!

Phantasm phantom_belcher at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 04:10:16 PST 2010

On Dec 2, 10:43 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some may be wondering: now that it's December, why haven't the usual
> preparations for the RACCies started, beginning with the posting of
> the nomination ballot?
>
> Well, I asked last year if there would be any problem in moving the
> beginning of the nomination period to January, since the eligibility
> period goes through the end of the year.  None dissented, so that's
> how it's planned to work from now on: Nominations open from January
> 1st to January 31st, voting from February 1st to March 15th.  Any
> problems with that schedule?

None here.

> Lest ye be starving for the democratic process, however (insert
> American political joke here), there are a few things that remain to
> be decided.  First is a proposal I've been mulling over for a new
> award.  The name would be something like Best Informational Piece.  It
> would cover anything whose primary purpose is informing one about a
> world or imprint, from FAQs and NAQs to stuff like "The Flagsuit Memo"
> and, possibly, including things like "Mars and the Dark Age of
> Superheroes".  Thus, two votes:
>
> 1.) Should we add a RACC20 award?
>
> 2.) If we do, what should its name be?  What would be the log line?

1) I am all for a RACC20 award.

2) RACC20: BEST EXPOSITION-DUMP, for those articles and issues that
deal primarily with setting information rather than story or
characters.

(It needs work, I admit...)

> As well, there's another decision: Should we run the RACC Hall of Fame
> this year?  After the low turnout in 2008/2009, it was left fallow;
> should a new class be inducted this time around, or should we wait one
> more year?
>
> Votes, emailed and posted, will be taken through December 31st.  Feel
> free to point out all the obvious things I missed!

One thing I'd like to add: Reading through the last few years' of
RACCies ceremonies, I've felt there was something missing.  Then it
hit me: Early on, we used to have a scene or two before the ceremony
with a reporter commenting on people arriving at the awards hall on
the red carpet.  Lately, however, we jump right to the ceremony
itself, or we're given a bit of behind-the-curtain scenery.  Call me
nostalgic, but the red carpet scenes added a bit more verisimilitude
to the ceremony.  Made me feel like I was watching an actual awards
show, not the Muppet Show.

Just my $0.05 worth.