META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 05:01:22 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 6:49 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> As part of a bread-and-circuses program to distract you from the
> increasingly extended contract negotiations over the RACCies (who knew that
> Building Suspense Lad was such a sharp operator?), I'm going to ask: What's
> your least favorite aspect of modern comic book stories, the stuff you
> actively try to avoid in your own work?
>
> For me, it's heroes arguing for no reason.  Nothing annoys me more than
> when, in the name of "conflict" and "characterization", the Flash takes
> offense at some stupid little thing Green Lantern did and they're sniping
> at each other for the rest of the mission.  Now, arguing because there's
> something worth arguing about can make for wonderful storytelling, but
> arguing because the writer can't think of any other way to provide
> interpersonal conflict sucks.

Ah but the thing you hate the most is precisely the thing you make fun
of in satire.  I personally hate teenaged sidekicks because it
constitutes child endangerment.  That plus masked vigilantes being
given access to crime scenes (because they are unable to testify if
they actually find evidence).

Martin