META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 07:39:15 PDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:54:18 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2:30 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:13:58 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>>> 1.  Decompressed storytelling.
>>
>> I think this is an example of something that *can* be used well, but whose
>> misuse and overuse has given it a bad rap.  Giving a story a slower pace,
>> an atmosphere, a gentle slope of rising action can be quite effective.
>
> Agreed, but I suspect it's a marketing tactic whose time has gone.
> How much attention span do comic book companies think the next-
> generation reader has?

Well, my point is that it's not a marketing tactic; it's a storytelling
tactic that was overused.  And I thought it was *our* generation that was
supposed to be utterly lacking in attention span.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, or, to be precise, every generation
born after the invention of television.