META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 09:59:38 PDT 2010

On Apr 16, 9:49 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> As part of a bread-and-circuses program to distract you from the
> increasingly extended contract negotiations over the RACCies (who knew that
> Building Suspense Lad was such a sharp operator?), I'm going to ask: What's
> your least favorite aspect of modern comic book stories, the stuff you
> actively try to avoid in your own work?

I've talked about various tropes in the past, but the big ones that
bug me are the ones that remove autonomy and/or responsibility from
the characters and/or call into question the veracity of what's taken
place, as neither is really, to my mind, playing fair with the
audience: outright mind control, body-jumping, doppelgangers
(alternate reality, shapeshifting aliens, clones, robots), illusions,
virtual reality, prophecies from the future.

==Tom