META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 06:49:37 PDT 2010

As part of a bread-and-circuses program to distract you from the
increasingly extended contract negotiations over the RACCies (who knew that
Building Suspense Lad was such a sharp operator?), I'm going to ask: What's
your least favorite aspect of modern comic book stories, the stuff you
actively try to avoid in your own work?

For me, it's heroes arguing for no reason.  Nothing annoys me more than
when, in the name of "conflict" and "characterization", the Flash takes
offense at some stupid little thing Green Lantern did and they're sniping
at each other for the rest of the mission.  Now, arguing because there's
something worth arguing about can make for wonderful storytelling, but
arguing because the writer can't think of any other way to provide
interpersonal conflict sucks.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, plerblah.