[LNH] Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #29

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 09:03:48 PDT 2009

Thanks to the vigilance of Eagle, I feel confident that *this* reply to
Dvandom's comments will go through...
On Monday 29/June/2009 Dvandom replied:
>> The Weed Wacker Vigilante is, of course, based on the Chainsaw
>> Vigilante from the _Tick_ comics. I've never read one of his appearances,
>> so the WWV's speech patterns are probably nowhere near similar.
>
> Correct, no where near similar. :) The Chainsaw Vigilante is cursed to
> be the last sane man in an insane world. In the Tick universe, becoming a
> superhero is one of the "normal" expressions of midlife crisis, so you have a
> LOT of middle-aged men running around in costumes with dubious gadgets and
> gimmicks. CSV's mission in life is to convince these idiots to get a
> sportscar or have an affair or something else that's NOT likely to put lives
> in danger. The merest touch of his chainsaw is enough to convince most
> superheroes to hang up the tights and take up model railroading or whatnot.

Oh I know his backstory and personality. I picked up a random copy of _Circus
of the Mighty_ once and also recall a rant you did on CSV miniseries.  On the
deepest level of character - of personality and motivation - there's no doubt
that WWV is a complete inversion of CSV. But on the superficial level of
appearance and method-of-operation he has to look the same if he's to work
as a parody/homage/ripoff (I can't realistically add 'satire' here, since I
feel I would have to be working with his deeper character traits rather than
replacing them wholsesale with a funhouse mirror reflection.). That just
leaves a third aspect of the character - the speech patterns - which by
rights I should have made similar because they are at the superficial level.
But I no way of quickly and easily checking what the original spoke like.

And apropos of nothing, the way that non-supers having mid-life crises tend
to dress up in costume in the Tick universe somehow always reminds me of
Dr Manhattan's observations early on in _Watchmen_ of how he doesn't fit
in with his other costumed peers and their social club outlook.

---
Saxon Brenton