NTB: An On the Deadbeat Special: Beige Happy Hour! -- A Beige Midnight Tie-In!

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 23 11:42:52 PST 2009

NTB:  An On the Deadbeat Special:  Beige Happy Hour!

<<Warning:  This story will probably give you cancer, rabies, a venereal
disease, and desire to have Satan's Love Child.  Please consult with the
Pope before reading this story.  Thank You.>>

Cover:  [Grim Sloth (That's GrimSlut!) and Dr. Deadbeat (That's Dr.
DeadSlut!) are sitting at a table in a bar.  Dr. Deadbeat looks down at
the text at the bottom in bold letters that says, 'A Beige Midnight
Crossover Issue!'.  He takes a drink and says, "You're Fucking Kidding,
Right?  RIGHT?!']

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

 From Beige Countdown #0:

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

Kirk Dublin flipped the burger on the grill watching it sizzle on the
hot metal.  Flies hovered around the grill.  Kirk tried to shoo the
flies away with his spatula.  But one fly didn't seem to want to leave.
  It kept buzzing and buzzing.  Getting closer to the grill.  And
finally, the fly flew right into the burning coals.  Stupid fly.  Why
did it do that?

Kirk looked up and noticed that a stranger was in his yard.  A man that
wore a black trenchcoat and black fedora carrying a staff made out of
some strange black material in one hand and a beige trenchcoat and
briefcase in the other.  Kirk started to become very uneasy.  "Umm --
Can I help you with something?"

"Once I may have joined you for slightly charred hamburgers and
citronella-tinged conversation, but for now I must be the Banquo at your
banquet, the uninvited guest."  The Stranger gave a slight smile.

"Uhuh.  Look if you want some food or money, I can..."

"No.  I came here to speak to the Deadbeat."

"Deadbeat?  I don't know what you're talking about.  Maybe you should
leave."

"No.  But my time is too precious to fool around with these type of
games."  The trenchcoated stranger struck his staff on the lawn.
Everything except for the stranger and Kirk disappeared.

"No!  What have you done?!" Kirk said as he gazed in horror at the blank
white world.  "Where's my house?  My family?  Bring it back!  Bring it
all back!"

The stranger shook his head.  "This is the truth that you already know.
  This was a prison forged by the man named Dr. Molar.  Your family and
life here are not real.  This is your reality."  The stranger dumped the
beige trenchcoat onto the blank white ground.  "Pick it up.  Put it on."

"No.  I can't.  Not again.  Please!"

"If you do not put on the trenchcoat, then you turn your back on
everything.  Everyone.  Worlds and Universes will die.  You will die.
But put the trenchcoat on and everything might be saved.  And once the
balance has been restored, I care not what you do with yourself.  I can
bring you back here so you can wallow away your final years in this
dream life.  If you want.  But if you don't put on the trenchcoat your
dream and dream family die here and now."

"Fine."  Kirk Dublin grabbed the trenchcoat reluctantly.  He looked at
the trenchcoat with the fading logo 'Stolen from Club Med' on it and
hesitated.  His hands started to shake.  And then he put it on.

As soon as he put the trenchcoat on, a change overtook him.  A wild grin
came over his face.  His hand quickly reached into one of the pockets
and pulled out a pack of cigarettes.  He stuffed every one of them in
his mouth and took out a lighter and lit them all.  After a number of
very deep inhales and exhales, he took all but one out of his mouth.
Putting his hand into another pocket, he took out a bottle of pills and
a bottle of gin.  After he swallowed the bottle of pills and washed them
down with the bottle of gin, he threw them on the ground.  "Damn.  I
needed that."  He laughed to himself.  And then he looked at the
Stranger and gave a wink.  "Well, Dave.  Thanks and all for getting me
out of that Retard Asylum.  You can drop me off at the nearest orgy or
whore house if you want.  I'll even pay for gas."

"No.  You're going to Net.ropolis.  You have business there."

"The Hell I do.  Look.  Fine.  You can leave me here if you want.  I'm
sure I can find my way out of here."  Dr. Deadbeat started to walk
around the blank world he was in.  "Okay.  Where's the door in this
place?  Got to be somewhere here.  Hmm."

"As tempting as that sounds.  No.  You're going to Net.ropolis.  And
here's the reason."  The Dvandom Stranger opened up the briefcase and
showed the contents to Dr. Deadbeat.  The contents gave a golden glow.

"Is that...?  Christ.  For real?"

The Dvandom Stranger nodded.

"Damn.  Bloody Bastard."  Dr. Deadbeat frowned.  "Fine.  Net.ropolis it
is.  So.  Who else is going to be there?  Eh?"

"Everyone that I can get."

Dr. Deadbeat laughed.  "That's funny.  You're kidding.  Right?"  The
Dvandom Stranger didn't answer.  "I mean you're kidding.  Please tell me
you're..."

And with a flash the two trenchcoaters disappeared leaving a blank white
world that seemed to be turning more and more beige as the time passed.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

And now...

                      'Beige Happy Hour!'

In some Nightclub in Scotland...

A bald man hopped off the stage.  Every inch of exposed skin on him
seemed to have some type of a piercing.  There were earrings, liprings,
noserings, cheekrings, neckrings, eyelid rings, top of the head rings,
armpit rings.  Let's just say that there were a lot of rings on him.  He
grabbed a psychedelic colored towel and used it to wipe the sweat off of
his forehead.

He walked over to a table where two men in trenchcoats were sitting.
"So.  What deedya think?  Are wee the next beeg thing?  Did we ruck yure
wurld?"

"If rock your world means giving me the desire to time travel back
before your act and gouge both of my past self's eardrums with sharp
rocks to save him from having to listen to that -- then yes, I guess you
could say that."  The trenchcoated man blew some smoke into the bald
man's face.

The bald man waved the smoke away.  "Say.  What record company are you
from anywee?"

The other trenchcoater shook his head.  "No record company.  We're from
something better.  Ever heard of the NTB?"

The bald man smirked.  "Oh, the Naughty Teenaged Babes?  Well, of
course.  I am a musician."

"No.  Not them.  The other NTB."

"What -- you don't mean -- those blokes that run around in trenchcoats,
smoking cigarettes, and saying the word bastard in all their sentences?
  But they're not real -- They're a myth!"

"Alas, if only."  The trenchcoater rummaged around one of his trenchcoat
pockets till he found a rather crumpled cigarette and stuck it in his
mouth.  "No, they're real.  The name's GrimSloth.  And my loutish
colleague who doesn't appreciate your wonderful music is called Dr.
Deadbeat.  We're here on a recruiting mission."

"And you want me to join your NTB?  But why -- unless you've already
guessed my secret.  Yes -- that must be it.  But which secret?  I have
so many.  I guess you already know that I'm not really a Brit Pop Rocker
called The Ring Job and my band the Forgettables aren't really
musicians.  I guess then you know that we're all part of a secret
society.  Freedom Fighters fighting in a war that has been going since
the beginning of time.  A secret war between the two forces that want
control of mankind.  On one side: the Lameness -- Trying to make
everyone Lame!  And on the other side:  The Hippness -- Trying to make
everyone cool and groovy.  I guess you can already tell what side I'm
on."  The Ring Job gestured towards his black leather jacket, various
body piercings, tattoos, and shaved head.

"Actually, I am curious.  Which?"  Dr. Deadbeat flicked some ash on the
floor.

"Hah!"  GrimSloth elbowed Dr. Deadbeat with a hard jab.  "My colleague
is just joking!  Of course we know.  We're on the same side.  The side
of -- umm -- you know.  Hippness!  See?  We're wearing trenchcoats.
We're on your side."

"Maybe.  But you didn't let me finish.  Because the whole secret war --
that isn't the whole story.  See, I'm not from this Universe.  I'm from
some place higher.  A higher plane -- a place where all of this is just
a comic.  And all of you are just characters.  You see -- my name is
really Chant Doorrison.  I was a writer.  A comic book writer!  I was
writing this hip comic book called, 'The Forgettables' about this group
of hep swinging terrorists.  Unfortunately, the sales for the book
weren't so hot.  I needed to do something to increase them.  I was into
magick at the time -- Real Magick -- and I decided to do this spell to
help get my sales up.  So I'm sitting completely naked on this sigil
trantric style jerking off chanting shit -- and then I pass out.  And
the next thing I know is that I'm here.  I'm in the comic!  The comic
that I wrote!  I became the Ring Job -- super powered kung fu terrorist
whose every ring is some type of weapon!  Freaky, huh?  Don't know if it
helped sales though."

"Yeah, Freaky!  And just so you know -- we have no bias against the
insane.  In fact most of our members are certifiable -- so just sign
here and..."  GrimSloth shoved a contract into The Ring Job's view.

"Hmm, I don't know."  The Ring Job ran his finger through the fine
print.  "What's this here about my first born child?"

"Oh that's just lawyer stuff.  Don't give it any mind.  Oh, you need to
sign in blood too."

"Is there some kind of fee?"

"Oh, right the fee.  Well there's the yearly fee of 1000 pounds.  But if
you're smart you'll do the lifetime fee of -- umm -- 5000 pounds -- and
for 6000 pounds all your band members can become NTB lifetime members too."

"Wow!  For only 6000 pounds?"  The Ring Job looked through his wallet.
"Hmm.  I seem to only have 4000 pounds at the moment.  Do you take checks?"

Both GrimSloth and Dr. Deadbeat's eyes danced at the sight of the money.
  "Hmm.  I forgot -- we're having a special today -- and 4000 pounds is
the exact precise amount."  GrimSloth fingers quickly snatched the wad
of cash.  "Welcome to the NTB."

"Don't I get a card -- or badge or something?"

"Oh right the badge!"  GrimSloth looked at Dr. Deadbeat.  "Give him his
badge."  Dr. Deadbeat scrawled something on a cocktail napkin and handed
it to The Ring Job.

"This -- umm looks like a cocktail napkin with the letters NTB scrawled
on it?"

"Oh sure.  To the uninitiated un-hep person that's what it looks like,
but to the with-it hipster it looks like a -- umm, what does it look
like?" said GrimSloth eyeing Dr. Deadbeat again.

"A metatextual construct of a Cocktail Napkin with the letters NTB
scrawled on it."  Dr. Deadbeat lit another cigarette for himself.  "All
the hep kids wear them."

"Wow!  So I'm a member?"

"Yes.  You'll need to buy yourself a trenchcoat.  Start saying the word
bastard a lot.  Use your friends as cannon fodder.  And start smoking
cigarettes."

"But I'm a vegan.  I can't smoke!"

"Pretty sure cigarettes are a vegetable.  Deadbeat?"

"Yeah, vegetable.  Trust me.  I'm a Doctor."

"Well, if you say so.  So what's my first mission?"

"Glad you asked that.  There's going to be a big gathering of
Trenchcoaters in Netropolis.  You're going to have to go to this place
called the LNHHQ.  Heard of it?"

"The spandex superhero place?"

"Yeah.  That one.  Down below are a number of sub-sub basements.  You
want to go to Sub-Sub Basement #58.5.  That's where the party is going
to be."

"Party?  Sounds fun."

Dr. Deadbeat laughed.  "Yeah.  Fun.  When you get there, ask for Dave.
He'll tell you what you're going to do.  Got it?"

"Yeah.  LNHHQ Sub-Sub Basement 58.5.  Got it."

GrimSloth looked at his watch.  "Well.  We've got to go.  See you
around.  Bye."

"Uh, yeah -- bye."  The Ring Job waved to the two trenchcoaters and
looked at the cocktail napkin in his hand.  Christ.  What the hell was
he thinking?

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

"Christ.  That took forever.  Who's next on the list?"  Dr. Deadbeat lit
up another cigarette.

GrimSloth took out a crumpled list from one of his pockets.  "Some
trenchcoater in the future by the name of Cockroach Las Vegas.  A Hunter
S Thompson wannabe.  Supposed be the last bastard in a world where all
the bastards were killed by some virus."

"You kidding me?  Dave expects us to go there?  Fuck that shit."

"Yeah.  Let's just say we did.  Next on the list.  The Bible Thumper.
Some redneck hick from Texas searching for God.  Has a bible belt that
he uses to thump people with."

"There's a keeper.  How many more of these bastards do we have to find
before we're off the hook?"

GrimSloth ran his finger down the list.  "We have to get 58 and a half."

"A half?  How are we supposed to do that?  Mystical Chainsaw?"

GrimSloth looked over the list.  "Doesn't say."

"So what did Dave have on you?"

"Oh, you know.  The usual.  You?"

"Yeah.  That.  Bastard.  One of these days we're all going to have to
get together and take care of him once and for all."

GrimSloth snorted to himself.  "Lovely thought.  Too bad we're all just
a bunch of spineless cowards or psychopaths like Dave."

"Yeah.  Too bad.  Hmm.  Here's a thought.  Why don't we just find some
sap and con him into doing this for us?

GrimSloth looked at the list.  "Yeah.  That could work.  Or we could
just say we did and leave it at that."  GrimSloth crumpled up the list
and tossed it into the air.

"Works for me.  So where should we head?"  Dr. Deadbeat took out a piece
of chalk from a pocket.  Using the chalk he created a magical door in
the air.

"The Naughty Teenaged Babe Altiverse?"  GrimSloth opened the door.

"I like the way you think."  Dr. Deadbeat stepped into the door and
looked back.  He waved his middle finger and gave a wink.  "Adios,
Readers!  This series is dead -- dead -- and dead."

The End.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

Credits:

One of the Dvandom Stranger's sentences in Beige Countdown written by
Dave Van Domelen.

GrimSloth (or is that Slut?) -- Stewart Fyfe
Dr. Deadbeat and The Ring Job -- Arthur Spitzer
Dvandom Stranger -- Dave Van Domelen
The Naughty Teenaged Babes Joke -- Tom Russell

Writer's Notes:

What's it been?  12 years since the last 'On the Deadbeat'?  February
11, 1997.  I think that was before Tom Russell started posting.  Been a
long time.

Here's the rest of series in case you're curious.

http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/ntb/On.Deadbeat/

This is more than likely the last 'On the Deadbeat' and probably the
last appearance of Dr. Deadbeat.  I did think about having him appear in
Beige Midnight, but then I figured there's no way in hell he'd be a part
of that.

I have a part of #4 of this series some where on my hard drive.  Never
going to finish that obviously.  I was a much different writer back
then.  Part of why I never finished it was because I was trying to get
everything perfect.  Now days I just hack and slash prose (see the story
above).

This isn't a great ending, but it's an ending.

The Ring Job is a parody of the Grant Morrison character King Mob from
the Invisibles.  It was something that I came up with back when I still
was thinking about writing 'On the Deadbeat'  Also was going to do a
parody of the Preacher and Spider Jerusalem.  Never got around to that.

Also this is a bit of a homage to Paul Hardy's much funnier Retcon Hour
story -- Retcon Happy Hour.

http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/lnh/Series/Legion.Occult/Retcon.Happy.Hour.gz

It's kind of shame that no one seems to write NTB stories anymore.
That's probably because Vertigo isn't quite what it used to be.  It's
been awhile since I've bought a Vertigo comic.

I'm not completely finished with the NTB.  Various members will show up
in Beige Midnight -- so keep watch for that.

Oh and how about a letter page...?

Always wanted to do one of those...

What's a good name for one?  Deadbeatings?  Credit Rantings?

Ah well...