REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #48 - December 2007 [spoilers]

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:06:06 PST 2008

On Sat 2 Feb 2008 Tarq < mitchell_crouch at caladrius.com.au> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, Tarq muses in the end notes that he has a nagging
>> feeling that there's something he's overlooking in Possum-Man's
>> character.  I thought I'd have a look at this, so I went back
>> through his appearances in  _Alt.stralian Yarns_ #3-6 and the
>> _Possum Man_ issues so far and see> what descriptive summary I
>> can make of the character.  Hmm.
>
> Yes -- to expand upon that point, I was worrying that perhaps
> Pos was becoming a bit too competent a bit too quickly; as
> though his endearing flatfootery (you know you love him for it,
> really) was being replaced by mainstream buttkickery.

Thanks, that was the sort of clarification I was hoping for.  I can
see where that *might* become a problem, but I think the outcome
would depend on how you handle it.

I'll make the observation that in a comedy series there are various
ways of pulling of 'teh funny', ranging from jokes in the descriptive
text and jokes in the dialogue as the characters banter, through to
people dealing with absurd situations.  In this case I think you may
be referring to the main character feeling humorously stressed by
an overwhelming situation that may or may not be humorously absurd
situation.  One possibilty for handling that is: with Possum-Man's
general lack of grasp of reality he may not be able to properly
assess how his abilities compare.  Being a superhero he's probably
going to be absurdly over-optimistic about his chances of handling
a threat, but he might occasionalyy go the other way a become freaked
out by a trivai matter, especially if a villain is deliberately
trying to fake him out.  Whichever way his belief goes in a particular
situation, a discrepency between what Possum-Man can do and what he
thinks he can do may be a useful dodge.

Which brings us to the question of what Possum-Man's competency level
actually is, and whether it's a fixed thing.  The problem is that we
know that Possum-Man is not adverse to the idea of improving his
wherewithall to fight crime.  This includes his skills and his
equipment.  However, we also know that he is easily-distracted-by-
shiny-things and wants-to-look-kewl.  So:

Does Possum-Man actually have the ability to keep learning new
crimefighting skills?  I dunno.  He's an obsessive wingnut, so I'm
guessing not, but the 'obsessive' part may be enough for him to bring
a thundering focus to bear and pull it off anyway.  Now, if he
DOESN'T have the ability to learn any more/much more in the way of
crimefighting skills, then you could have him complain that his
abilities seemed to have reached a plataeu, and then milk it for
either comedy, angst, or just characterisation as you feel fit.

On the other hand, perhaps he CAN keep learning new crimefighting
skills.  In that case avoid like the plague the prosect of him
learning (too much) *practical* stuff.  Fortunately, with his twisted
sense of prioroties he's far more likely to learn more stuff about
looking kewl than being practical for crime fighting.  Moreover, his
skills of showmanship may become such that he gains a really great
reputation among the public and the law enforcement authorites that
when they get a problem they automatically call for Possum-Man, who
of course would then be in waaay over his head.  Moreover, someone
who's a clear thinker might see past his facade and become a sort of
non-villainous archnemesis who goes around trying to point out to
everyone else that Possum-Man really isn't as great as his reputation
(and then getting frustrated because nobody belives them).

Or perhaps Possum-Man does go and learn a useful crimefighting skill.
But in keeping with his personality he goes for a kewl skill, and it
turns to be an esoteric skill that is highly useful in extremely
uncommon circumstances, and pretty much useless most of the rest of
the time.  And the villains mock him for this.  This option would
need to be combined with the 'can only learn so much overall'
limitation, otherwise he would have a wide range of such skills that
in the agregate cover almost any situation, and you would end up with
the omnicompetent Possum-Man that you've said you're trying to avoid.

Another possibility might be to do a semi-pardoy of the phenomenon of
'to-do lists' in roleplaying games (without necssarily mentoning
roleplaying games or the mechanics of how to-do lists work).  In such
a situation Possum-Man might make a mental note to himself to learn
such-and-such a skill, but can't do so right now because of time
constraints or whatever (in RPG terms, he's waiting until he has enough
experinece points).  Then he runs into a situation where he really
needed something that was on his to-do list, and complains "I should
have taken care of that earlier."  Or perhaps a running gag where he has
a whole lot of things on his to-do list, but he keeps running into
situations where he should have picked up that skill rather than this
one, leading to complaints of "Argh! Why can't my villains schedule
their nefarious schemes properly."  Possibly leading up to a situation
where out of frustration Possum-Man tries to learn all his skills at
once, and fails catastrophically with all of them.

---
Saxon Brenton
What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT