BP/ACRA: Bob & Charlie #1

Tim Munn drtimphd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 21:44:02 PDT 2007

On Mar 13, 10:39 pm, "Tom Russell" <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tim, I think the writing in "Bob and Charlie" is, from a technical
> standpoint, your best yet.  It's pulpy and understated, very gritty,
> in the David Morrell vein.

Yeah, I think this is my favorite First Issue.  It's up there in my
personal favorites list.

> And you've picked a pretty heavy subject: war, death, destruction.
> Viet Nam, man.  Whoa.

I was going to have it in Iraq, Round One, but that war was too new.
I knew it was a major coflict, which ruled out small-scale conflicts,
and the last that the United States was involved in was Vietnam.

> But I'll have to concur with Mitchell: it seems half-finished.  Like
> there are things you want to say-- and ways in which you want to say
> them-- but at the moment they're _just_ beyond your grasp.
>
> Keep grasping, keep writing.  I'd like to see more of this; I think
> you'll prove to be more than up to tackling your themes and taming
> your style.  It's a big leap forward not only in technical ability,
> but also in ambition.
>
> It's a little on the nihilistic side for me, but the over-the-top
> Rambo nature of it makes me think that it's parody.  If that's the
> case, I'd suggest pushing it even further over-the-top, thus making
> sure you let the audience in on the joke. ;-)

There could be occasional bits of non-violent fun thrown in once in
awhile.

> 'Bout time we had some war comics around here, anyway. :- )

Werd.

> ==Tom
Tim