LNH/META: That monster isn't going to fit in your pocket

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:04:54 PDT 2007

On Friday 1 June 2007 Lalo Martins <lalo.martins at gmail.com> replied:

>Didn't we have a character called Anal-Retentive Something or Other? Can't
>find him (her?) on the roster.

Anal-Retentive Archive Kid is one of my characters.  He turns up
from time to time, but since (a) the _Limp-Asparagus Lad_ series
is effectively an ensemble cast, and (b) I'm not a very fast writer
(most of the time) he doesn't get vast amounts of screen time.
I'm hoping to change that in the next L-ALad as I finally catch up
with the _Flame Wars 4_ miniseries/crossover from 2002 and he
gets to have a cranky attack(tm) about having been injected
with HIV.

>Anyway (and this from an avid fan of the gameboy and card games, but who
>can't stand the anime), technically most Pokémon do *not* fit in your
>pocket.  The reason for the name is the "magic" Pokéballs, which do fit in
>your pocket, while still able to contain a Pokémon -- from the tiny, such
>as the many insect larvae, to the colossal, such as Onyx, Charizard,
>Groudon, or Kyogre.

Yes, absolutely.  I was generalising wildly.  (Although after
googling I think I may also have been badly recalling and
conflating them with the 'Monsters In My Pocket' line of
toys.)  In any case, it might be amusing to have people
suddenly discover that daikaiju level hackemon do not fit
in the hackey-sacks - not because of size but because of
some conceptual change.  Hmm... And then there's the
possibility that they may cross 'the Bishonin Line' to become
smaller (and cuter) but even more powerful.

---
Saxon Brenton   Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia