REVIEW: Superfreaks!

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 13:22:24 PDT 2006

Martin Phipps wrote:
> Tom Russell wrote:
> > The cops in Superfreaks must all be geniuses, because they piece
> > together the crime almost immediately after it's occured.  For example,
> > they find a woman's body and they know she's been killed by retractable
> > claws-- just like Wolverine's.  How the hell do they know they're
> > retractable claws?
>
> One more thing: I glossed over the whole process of gathering evidence.
>  Edward would have had crime scene photographs and autopsy photographs
> in addition to hair, skin and blood samples to look at.  For every
> case, Edward would have had a mountain of evidence to look at.  It may
> have seemed as though he was pulling theories out of a hat but he would
> have had a lot more to go on than traditional detectives.  I just took
> that as a given. :)

My point was that details make the stories memorable.  I'd love to have
Edward _tell us_ why, from the evidence, he deduced that it was
retractable claws.

It's why Sherlock Holmes and Encyclopedia Brown are so popular.  Not
because they're effortlessly smart, but because they explain what leads
them to their conclusions.

And I think that, more than anything, is the appeal of the
detective/mystery/police procedural format.

> Martin

==Tom